Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
It is time again to choose a new topic for our Fortnightly Challenge. Please submit topic ideas by Tuesday at 5PM CDT. I will then post a poll on Tuesday evening.

JohnMC

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
The first we put out suggestions some one had the idea of "edge". That is, the subject of the image was at the edge of the frame. I am intrigued by that idea and am putting it out there again.

Bruce

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I'll back deep diver on this one and go with "edge" - I have no idea at this moment how I will deal with this, but it sounds interesting.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Been out traveling for the past little bit and have not been able to participate as much as I'd like ...

Edge is a great suggestion :) I'd also like to suggest a challenge where we draw down a "word of the day" from a single source (say dictionary.com). This way you would have a challenge with some interesting variety...

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Suggestion -- We have had three sets of posts for each topic: one to discuss and suggest topics, one to vote, and one to submit. I think one post would be easier to follow. Let's discuss the ideas and reach some consensus (with John having the final call) and then submit, all on the same thread.

What do you all think?

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I really like Maxxamillian's idea. One of the ideas driving this forum is to push ourselves - both imagination and skills. Getting a completely random word would certainly do that. I assume there is an on-line dictionary that will generate a random word.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
I really like Maxxamillian's idea. One of the ideas driving this forum is to push ourselves - both imagination and skills. Getting a completely random word would certainly do that. I assume there is an on-line dictionary that will generate a random word.

go to http://www.dictionary.com the word of the day should be on the cover page left side...

You can even click into it and find past words that have been used.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Max's idea is very interesting.

I also agree with deep diver but with two threads. A voting discussion thread and then the thread, Only because we might chat for a few pages and then suddenly start posting photos. It would be a bit messy.

I do think

1. the rules could be made a bit less wordy
2. introduce the topic into the title
3. I had a really interesting number 3 but I can't remember what it is :eek: .

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I also really like Max's idea. So after thinking about how to make this work I have come up with a possible solution. My only concern was if the word of the day was something really hard to photograph we could end up in a bind. So, on the day I set up the poll for the new topic (e.g. Today) I will also pull down the word of the day from dictionary.com and add it to the list of topics.

As a student government member, I prefer to still bring things to a vote even after discussion, so that there can't be angry people later. I do think it is a problem to have three threads per challenge. I would edit this thread and post a poll if it was possible. Instead, I would like to try voting by posting in this thread. I will edit the tread title to something like "Now Voting: ..." when the unofficial poll starts.

@Chappers, I know you really want the rules to be less wordy. My problem is that I really try and see every loophole and close them when I right guidelines, constitutions, etc. Would you be willing to edit the rules yourself and then post them in the new challenge thread for discussion? I would like to see simpler rules, but my leadership and writing style can't seem to slim them down.

SO, after all that. This thread is now closed to more topic suggestions. We can still discuss other issues relating the challenges here. We will also be using the thread to vote on our next topic.

Our topic chooses are:
1) Edge
2) Nocturnal
3) Refulgent (WotD) means "Shining brightly; radiant; brilliant; resplendent"

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Chappers, I know you really want the rules to be less wordy. My problem is that I really try and see every loophole and close them when I right guidelines, constitutions, etc. Would you be willing to edit the rules yourself and then post them in the new challenge thread for discussion? I would like to see simpler rules, but my leadership and writing style can't seem to slim them down.

How about

Challenge topic : enter topic here

The challenge will run from right now until :

Rules
1. Photos should be your own work.
2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.

3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.
2. The challenge topic will be voted on by all members in a separate thread.

What do you think ?

I think keeping it simple is the key.

John - I have to say though you're doing a great job on this thread.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I suggest we go with Chappers' rewrite because it is a little simpler. I also don't want to see us get too caught up in the rules, nor would I worry about loopholes. This challenge is starting to take on a very nice culture of its own that is, I think, very consistent with the initial intent.

BTW: I looked at dictionary.com today. The word of the day is malapropism. Great word and the core of many very funny jokes/stories. I am not sure what any of us might do with it photographically, but what a challenge!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I suggest we go with Chappers' rewrite because it is a little simpler. I also don't want to see us get too caught up in the rules, nor would I worry about loopholes. This challenge is starting to take on a very nice culture of its own that is, I think, very consistent with the initial intent.

BTW: I looked at dictionary.com today. The word of the day is malapropism. Great word and the core of many very funny jokes/stories. I am not sure what any of us might do with it photographically, but what a challenge!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

I agree, we will go with Chappers' rewrite. @Chappers, thanks! BTW, please don't forget to vote. The three topics are in my last post.

John

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
SO, after all that. This thread is now closed to more topic suggestions. We can still discuss other issues relating the challenges here. We will also be using the thread to vote on our next topic.

Our topic chooses are:
1) Edge
2) Nocturnal
3) Refulgent (WotD) means "Shining brightly; radiant; brilliant; resplendent"

Edge is good. It can be read in a number of different contexts as the edge of the frame, on edge (physical or emotional) or the edge of something. Word of the Day is OK, also. Maybe use two to make it easier to find subjects?

Dale

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I like all three topics too but "edge" is challenging. I think we should only ever have one topic and maybe next time go with the word of the day on the start date.

I do agree that this thread is growing nicely - I must advertise it more

How do I link it (the thread) at the bottom of each of my posts like JohnMC

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
"Challenge" does have a bit of a contest or at least winner flavor to it, but I don't think we should change the title. It is becoming established and we shouldn't do anything to confuse folks. It only takes a few days following this thread to understand that it isn't a contest.

I hate contests. I have seen way too many great shots "loose" in the Weekly Photo Contest. Think Maxx...

Chappers: Adding the link like John does is easy. Go the thread title bar and copy/paste the address bar into your post or add it to your sig.

Like this:https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/773644/

Dale

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
The new challenge is now up. Link

BTW, here is how I do the link in my sig.
Check out the [_URL="https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8467570"]MacRumors Photo Challenge[/URL_]!
Remove the _ underscores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.