Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NRC+ or Regular Workout App?

• Total voters

AUFan88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
AL
What do you like better on your Apple Watch for running/walking/jogging?

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
I like the nike app better myself but the workout app has been much more stable in my experience. Not sure which Apple watch you have, but on the Series 2, the nike app stopped working reliably somewhere around October 2017. It's more or less back to normal for me, but some others on the forums are still having issues with runs crashing.

As much as i like (and use) the nike app, I probably wouldn't recommend it, due to the issues I'eve experienced over the last few months. The workouts app, while much more limited in what it displays, does seem to be more stable in my opinion (although it does have it's own quirks).

EDIT: I'm changing my vote to the Apple Workouts App. Nike updated the app to version 5.14.0 a couple of days ago & it's back to not working again for me. I think this might be the end go my attempts to use the nike app, at least until I upgrade my watch. They just keep creating updates to the app that cause it to fail mid-run.

Last edited:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Just don’t do Nike app.

JUST DO WorkOutDoors app. It’s fantastical.
I agree — steer clear of the Nike app. It's been absolute rubbish ever since the overhaul a year and a half ago, and will cause you nothing but frustration. (And this is coming from somebody who has logged 27,500 Nike+ miles and bought a Nike+ Apple Watch.)

My preferred substitute is iSmoothRun, which is not only rock-solid, but can easily export workouts to Nike+. So, I can continue to build upon my Nike+ totals without messing around with the Nike app itself.

Reactions: mk313

Luigi3

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
Read this thread, especially the last pages:
Running with the AW2

Sure, you can have fun with the NRC, but most of the people who enjoy it are rather casuals that run once per week, based on my observations.

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
Read this thread, especially the last pages:
Running with the AW2

Sure, you can have fun with the NRC, but most of the people who enjoy it are rather casuals that run once per week, based on my observations.
I use NRC and run several times per week. I think that's a pretty unfair generalization of people who use NRC, nor do I see that hypothesis supported anywhere in the threads. What kinds of observations are you basing that on?

Luigi3

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
I use NRC and run several times per week. I think that's a pretty unfair generalization of people who use NRC, nor do I see that hypothesis supported anywhere in the threads. What kinds of observations are you basing that on?

Sure. I do remeber the times when NRC was not that bad - without crashes and super long lags. But I just noticed that when Nike released another crappy update to the app and 'power-users'(there are few of them, you are included as well :) ) were grumbling about the quality many people were saying that they are enjoying app without problems. And don't know about the current reliability of NRC, but I suppose that these people who are enojoying the app even the quality is super bad are running once-twice per week for a 2-4 miles. They didn't have any problems since they don't care that much about lags, reliability, quick pauses and app handled such a short distance without a problem.
So for me, this is matter of view: if I use the app every day for 8-10 miles and it crashes and pauses, then some freshman enters the topic and said that app is fine because ran a week ago 2 miles, then...
It's just mildly infuriating to me - people don't provide the apple watch type, how many kilos did they run, etc. so it's problematic to me to find the issue - the app or the slow watch.

Reactions: dallison13

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I run 6 days a week, about 35 miles per week, and I much prefer the native Workout app. I like its simplicity and I don’t need many bells and whistles. After the first week of using it, it seemed to calibrate a lot better with my old Garmin mike markers. No complaints.

Reactions: Luigi3 and japanime

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
And don't know about the current reliability of NRC, but I suppose that these people who are enojoying the app even the quality is super bad are running once-twice per week for a 2-4 miles. They didn't have any problems since they don't care that much about lags, reliability, quick pauses and app handled such a short distance without a problem.
So for me, this is matter of view: if I use the app every day for 8-10 miles and it crashes and pauses, then some freshman enters the topic and said that app is fine because ran a week ago 2 miles, then...
It's just mildly infuriating to me - people don't provide the apple watch type, how many kilos did they run, etc. so it's problematic to me to find the issue - the app or the slow watch.

I wouldn’t say I’m a freshman, but I run a 5K daily, and 1-2 10Ks on the weekend. Sure the NRC app has had some hiccups, but anytime there’s an update I always run through the settings just for good measure and everything has been fine.

AWS3/Nike+, and even before with my S0, I never experienced a crash, just a delay in the information transferring from my iPhone to Apple Watch or sometimes it wouldn’t register on the watch at all, but still track on my iPhone albeit no HR data (I start my runs on my iPhone and view my metrics on the watch).

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I wouldn’t say I’m a freshman, but I run a 5K daily, and 1-2 10Ks on the weekend. Sure the NRC app has had some hiccups, but anytime there’s an update I always run through the settings just for good measure and everything has been fine.

AWS3/Nike+, and even before with my S0, I never experienced a crash, just a delay in the information transferring from my iPhone to Apple Watch or sometimes it wouldn’t register on the watch at all, but still track on my iPhone albeit no HR data (I start my runs on my iPhone and view my metrics on the watch).
My experience (AWS2 Nike+) is that the NRC app is OK (far from great, but OK) on workouts that are shorter than 15K. Anything longer than that, and it's a complete disaster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.