Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buntonn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2016
Essex, UK
Hi I have put together a spreadsheet in Numbers that I am sharing with someone who is on Windows. So I export it to excel and send to him. However now I need it that he can also update the spreadsheet. Is there any utilities like Automator or Hazel etc I could use so when I drop a numbers file into a directory it is converted to make an Excel copy, and also the other way around to convert an Excel file to a Numbers file?

Thanks,
Nick

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I also prefer numbers over excel for my spreadsheet needs, but If you need to work with someone who doesn't have numbers, I see 2 simple solutions:

1. You use excel from the beginning, and the problem goes away.
2. You both use google docs, avoiding the hassle that comes from continually converting one format to another.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is there any utilities like Automator or Hazel etc I could use so when I drop a numbers file into a directory it is converted to make an Excel copy, and also the other way around to convert an Excel file to a Numbers file?
I don't believe there are tools to automatically convert Numbers spreadsheets to Excel. May you can use Automator to create your own script, I'm not sure though.

In the end, I think you'll be better off using Excel, due to the conversion differences and since Numbers cannot handle all of what Excel can do so a Excel to Numbers import may drop some non-compatible formulas or other things. Also rendering may be off between the two apps, i.e., it looks different. If you're collaborating with another person, you'll be better off using the same tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.