Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehmjay

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
So I've been noticing this happening quite a lot lately and I cannot for the life of me fathom how/why.

I live in a Condo building and recently when going to AirPlay I see multiple AppleTVs listed, including my own. The question is, where are all these other ones coming from? They certainly aren't mine! My WiFi is also locked down, so I don't think it's people piggy backing on my WiFi network, in fact I have two WiFi networks in my house and they appear regardless.

I'm thinking *maybe* it has to do with the fact that the AppleTV is plugged directly into the Router/Modem and and it has something to do with the cable being throughout the entire Condo building so it's seeing anyone else in the building also using the same ISP or something, but it's very odd to me...

IMG_6224.PNG

vault

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
I believe Apple TV gen3 and above support peer-to-peer AirPlay streaming, where you don't have to be on the same network any more. I haven't tested it myself, and I sure hope there is some form of security preventing random people from hijacking your device :)

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The Apple TVs advertise themselves via Bluetooth for potential peer-to-peer Airplay. Nothing you can do about it short of turning your condo into a Faraday cage. ;) Personally I think Apple should offer an option to disable P2P Airplay (or even make it off by default).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.