Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
Hi,

After few tries at the time I bought my MacPro I wasn't sure if all Nvidia GT 120 have a weird behaviour or only mine.

Back then, sometimes I had no screen when I boot on my MacPro with the official Apple GT 120.
The MacPro is connected to an Apple Cinema Display 24" LED.
In order to have back the screen on my display I had to reboot several time or switch the screen and plug it into my MBP to have the screen back on the MacPro.

Because it wasn't my plan to keep this graphic card I didn't paid attention to understand if the issue was coming either from the card, the display or the Mac itself.
I sold it.

Not having the boot screen those previous days made my nervous so I bought a GT 120 :)
My tower is running with El Capitan the latest version available.

I received it yesterday and I was surprised to discover the same kind of behaviour.
  • screen doesn't show up
  • or the MacPro doesn't boot at all.
I have the dong and then nothing. If I remove all PCIe cards I have same things - no screen or doesn't boot properly.

I had to remove the cards and so without any PCIe cards the MacPro boot fine I was able to control to the computer via ssh or screen share.

If I put back the 980ti the MacPro also boot just fine.

I don't understand why the GT 120 has this weird comportment with the screen and the MacPro. It was very similar to my other GT 120.
  • Do you know if the GT 120 is knoz to not be fully compatible with the Led Cinema Display?
  • have anyone already heard about this weird behaviour and how to fix it?

Thanks!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Do you know if the GT 120 is knoz to not be fully compatible with the Led Cinema Display?
The GT120 has no compatibility issues with the Cinema Displays. Are you sure you have an actual Apple GT120?

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
I switched for an official ATI 4870 and the computer booted as expected.
However, I still don't understand why the Nvidia doesn't work.
I'll check with the DVI source if I can have a image on the screen.

After installing Sierra with the ATI I decided to add the Nvidia GT120 but the MP was unable to boot :( I think I'll return the GT120.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.