Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BSham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2018
Hello all,

I'm completely new to servicing my mac so I'd appreciate your help. My gpu has died (so i was told by the tech who said it's not worth fixing my mac).

I've got a Nvidia Quadro 4000, (ebay), was going to fit it just now but noticed the Nvidia has a connection point whereas my original did not.

Does anyone know what connection cable I need? And this connects to the port (looks like 6 pin?) On the left hand side next to the fan?

I'll have to find my original install dvd with a new SSD and hopefully get it running again.
Will upgrade the RAM as long as the mac actually turns on and works with the new gpu.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello all,

I'm completely new to servicing my mac so I'd appreciate your help. My gpu has died (so i was told by the tech who said it's not worth fixing my mac).

I've got a Nvidia Quadro 4000, (ebay), was going to fit it just now but noticed the Nvidia has a connection point whereas my original did not.

Does anyone know what connection cable I need? And this connects to the port (looks like 6 pin?) On the left hand side next to the fan?

I'll have to find my original install dvd with a new SSD and hopefully get it running again.
Will upgrade the RAM as long as the mac actually turns on and works with the new gpu.
The Mac Pros all have power connectors for GPUs, but many of the GPUs didn't require extra power so the computer may not have included the cable. You need something like this: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/CBLMPVPWR/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.