Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maneres

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Hi,

I would like to buy a nvidia quadro k5000 for a my mac pro mid 2010.

I have two options.

One original apple mac without warranty or another which was flashed but with 12 month warranty

What option do you think is better?

Many thanks for your help:)

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
This card was discussed on a couple previous forum posts.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/quadro-5000-and-6000.1419326/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-the-nvidia-quadro-k5000-video-card.2147155/#post-26651964

Seems like there may be better options for you with more horsepower, but it depends on what end use you have in mind.

Not sure if there is a Mac version of this card with boot screens, but I could be wrong. Macvidcards does not list this model on his webpage, so I'd be a bit cautious if someone is advertising a flashed version. Again, I could be wrong about the Mac ROM for these cards...

edit: There is a Mac version of this card, so I can imagine that you could flash a PC version. Maybe some of the amazing minds on here can offer feedback on this.

Last edited:

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Thanks guys. I was just about to edit the post to reflect that Macvidcard info. Also, thanks for the correction chrfr.

As for the warranty version vs the original Mac version... I suppose it depends on the condition of the card. Personally I'm a warranty guy, and with a flashed card this might be the best option.

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
If you need the Stereo 3D, I'd say go for it, or if you have software that is qualified for the Mac K5000.

Otherwise your'e just wasting money on an old piece of hardware. Other than the 3D port, none of the other Quadro features work with the Mac drivers, unless this card is supported ECC Ram in the OS X nVidia control panel.

Quadro cards are not any faster than there Geforce counterparts in software that relies on optimized Quadro drivers.

Somewhere around here I linked the OS X version of SpecViewerPerf, and it tells no lies, Geforce hardware is just as fast in Pro apps, because nVidia never optimized the OS X drivers for the Quadro line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.