Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nDanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
Hello, I'm running Open Core Lagacy Patcher on my old Mac Pro 4.1 with Sonoma. I have created a USB bootable install drive with OpenCore as a backup, but when I start the Mac the usb drive is not displayed in OpenCores boot picker, even if I press the spacebar. Does anyone know how to fix this? Many thanks in advance.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I have created a USB bootable install drive with OpenCore as a backup, but when I start the Mac the usb drive is not displayed in OpenCores boot picker, even if I press the spacebar. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Plug the USB drive into a USB hub?

Reactions: nDanne

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Spacebar? The boot screen comes up, when you boot while holding the Option key (not the spacebar)
Be sure to choose the EFI partition first. If you are holding the spacebar, instead of the Option key, that may be why the external boot (your backup drive) does not appear. Click the EFI to select it, then press enter. You should see your external boot show up within a few seconds. Click on THAT drive to select it, then press your Enter key (or click the continue arrow underneath the boot drive icon -- either way will do the job.

nDanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
Many Thanks for your answers. I know that I have to press the option key, I just pressed the space bar afterwards to show all boot options, like recovery mode. I have tried to use a usb hub, but the drive still ist not displayed. Then I found an old bootable usb drive with an El Capitan installer (not created with OLCP) on it and this drive is recognized and displayed in the boot picker (with and without a usb hub). Therefore, I assumed that the bootable usb drive not showing up might not have been created properly, so I recreated it. But that didn't solve the problem either. So maybe the usb drive is broken, although it is displayed in finder and accessible. Or could it be that it is not displayed in the OpenCore boot picker because OpenCore ist already running on the Mac.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
MacPro5,1 USB issues since Apple started removal of macOS OHCI support with Big Sur do not affect pre-boot configuration support, so, this happens ONLY AFTER macOS kernel is loaded.

OCLP BootPicker is still pre-boot (macOS kernel is not loaded yet), USB still works as expected.

This is something else, maybe a USB key incompatibility (some do not work for boot) or even a config.plist error.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If your USB installer does not appear in the boot picker window, then it is possible that the installer was created incorrectly, and not bootable.
What method did you use to create your USB bootable installer? (If you used the OCLP to make an installer, and using some older version of OS X (older than Big Sur), then I don't think you can expect an older system installer to be bootable. Use the steps here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/101578

Reactions: nDanne

nDanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I just created a new bootable installer with a different USB drive and it works. Now the boot picker shows the usb stick, so there must have been something wrong with the other usb drive. Many thanks, I appreciate your help.

Reactions: JazzyGB1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.