Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael J

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Seattle
Didn't see a post about this, so starting one.
  • I'm wondering if I can use the USB-C port to connect to my LG Ultrafine 5K monitor.
  • If so, I'm wondering what resolution it will be. Same as iPad? Or native to the Ultrafine.
  • If so, will it also charge the iPad at the same time (logically, it should).
  • Also, can I run the iPad as a separate display, non-mirrored.
  • And can I connect my mouse and external keyboard, both bluetooth.

I'm guessing: Yes, iPad, Yes, Mirrored only, Keyboard only.

Michael J

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Seattle
Thanks - I watched the presentation and there was reference to external monitor support but no specifics, hence the bullet points. Also did a google search before writing this post; same. If you have any links to share that answer those specific questions, that would be great!

Reactions: DaveOP

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Details seem to be pretty short right now. I don't think Apple will let us run wild the way we want to LOL. Apparently, it will output 4K at least (not sure about 5K; I think that might require TB3), but I'm curious to see if it will extend or mirror.

Reactions: Michael J

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
Thanks - I watched the presentation and there was reference to external monitor support but no specifics, hence the bullet points. Also did a google search before writing this post; same. If you have any links to share that answer those specific questions, that would be great!
It’s been stated by every outlet that it’s an extended display

rmariboe

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Didn't see a post about this, so starting one.
  • I'm wondering if I can use the USB-C port to connect to my LG Ultrafine 5K monitor.
  • If so, I'm wondering what resolution it will be. Same as iPad? Or native to the Ultrafine.
  • If so, will it also charge the iPad at the same time (logically, it should).
  • Also, can I run the iPad as a separate display, non-mirrored.
  • And can I connect my mouse and external keyboard, both bluetooth.

I'm guessing: Yes, iPad, Yes, Mirrored only, Keyboard only.
Apps that support screen extension will be extended rather than mirrored - see https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2018-ipad-pro-with-external-monitor-use-cases.2153544/ :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.