Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
I noticed an odd issue with my rMBP. I'm not sure if this has been gradual or not, but I just noticed it yesterday. The top middle of the keyboard, right under the screen at the function keys, seems to have bulged/swelled/dented upward just ever so slightly. It's minor enough that I may not have noticed, but it's made a small indent on the rubber/plastic part of the screen bezel pushing it down a bit. There's also a very slight give when I close the MacBook. It catches when it's just about closed. It closes completely, but requires slightly more pressure to close the last quarter inch or so. All of this is extremely minor (it wouldn't show up in a photo), but I'm worried it's leading to a bigger problem. I imagine if the battery was swelling it'd be evident on the bottom of the keyboard/trackpad, right? The battery health is showing as good. I also haven't dropped or bumped the MacBook and if I had, I can't imagine just the top of the keyboard would push up that way. Any thoughts or has anyone seen something similar?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I suspect battery swelling and pushing up the keyboard. Time to get it into the shop. They should be able to tell you what is going on (and what it is going to cost). Keep us posted.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. I have AppleCare through December so I should be all set if that's the problem. It must've been pretty recent, because it was in fairly recently for the screen coating issue (rMBP 2013).

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. I have AppleCare through December so I should be all set if that's the problem. It must've been pretty recent, because it was in fairly recently for the screen coating issue (rMBP 2013).

Unless you mentioned something being wrong I doubt the Apple people would have looked at the batteries. They need to fix things as fast as they can.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Just to update on how this turned out, I brought this to the Apple Store and they said the case was definitely warped but the battery looked fine. They sent it out for repair and after picking it up, I noticed they did end up replacing the battery along with the bottom casing. They even threw in a nice new Incase MBP shell since the Apple Store rep broke my Speck shell when he was taking it off. Pretty happy with how this turned out!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The battery is in the palm rest area, I don't imagine it'd push up the top of the keyboard. I'd think a defective hinge would be more likely.

Reactions: duervo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.