Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregconquest

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2016
near Yokohama, Japan
  • My phone was on an Anker wireless charger for an hour or two, but it was off center, to the right, about 1cm.
  • The iPhone 11 was in a clear plastic case.
  • The screen was dark, and the phone was very hot to the touch, about like charging a phone in the sun on a hot day.
  • No combination of power button presses, soft reset attempts, or connecting to a wired charger had any noticeable effect. The screen remained dark.
  • I put the phone in the refrigerator and it was quite cool after about twenty minutes.
  • Still no effects from button pushes.
  • After taking it out of the fridge, the phone did begin to slowly get warm again, especially on the right side below the camera. So, the phone was "on" even though the screen was black.
  • I let the phone discharge itself overnight.
  • The next morning, the phone was room temperature, and again no combination of button presses had any effect. I charged it with a cable for about an hour, I got warm again, but still no button presses had any effect. And I repeated this a couple of days later: same results.

Is there anything else I can do? After charging, the phone did not appear in FindMy from my other devices, so even when it's warm, it's not connected to the network. It appears dead.

And do you think the off-center charging is what killed it?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: NBKindaGirl

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I think it was just a coincidence.. I've been charging my iPhone X on an Anker wireless charger nightly for over 3 years and never had any problems. I don't go out of the way to make sure it's centered either, I just wait for the chime and the battery with the lightning bolt going through it to appear on the screen..

jseymour

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
S.E. Michigan, USA
I was wondering about the wireless charging thing. I bought a Juice Onn wireless charger at Wal*Mart a month ago or so. I noticed my iPhone SE (2020) sometimes gets a lot warmer on that wireless charger than ever it did on the Lightning cable. Is that normal? Heat is bad for electronics.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iPhone is obviously toast, but the question now is... Will you ever use a wireless charger again on your next iPhone?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
sometimes gets a lot warmer on that wireless charger than ever it did on the Lightning cable. Is that normal?
Yes it's considered "normal" because they all do it, but it isn't good.
"Normal" means common and wide spread but that's all.
Countless people dying of COVID is now normal - but it's not good.

gregconquest

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2016
near Yokohama, Japan
I was wondering about the wireless charging thing. I bought a Juice Onn wireless charger at Wal*Mart a month ago or so. I noticed my iPhone SE (2020) sometimes gets a lot warmer on that wireless charger than ever it did on the Lightning cable. Is that normal? Heat is bad for electronics.
I've read that there is generally noticably more heat with wireless chargers, and that this does impact battery life. But, for me, the heat difference has been so minimal that I didn't worry about it. This time it was way hotter than any other time, almost as hot as my old Galaxy S5 when charging it in the sun one day. The battery puffed up then, FWIW, and when I plunged the hot phone into a bucket of water, not noticing that the swollen battery had popped out the watertight caseback, the water rushed in and killed that phone right away.

now I see it: I've wondered the same thing (re: using a wireless charger on my next phone). I think this was at least mostly a coincidence. I had been planning on waiting till the iPhone 14 to upgrade. It seems that phone might include a periscope lens. Now, though, I'm leaning toward getting an iPhone 13 Pro Max this month or next (or maybe 12 Pro Max with the discount). The bigger size might mean even more severe off-center charging with that giant phone. I'm not sure what to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.