Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesLaff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2020
Recently I had just upgraded my mac, and have held onto my product key from years ago to put into any new computer (like this current situation).

I re-downloaded Office 2011, version 14.7.7 (last stable update). It accepted my key and everything, the software is on my computer, but accompanied by a cross and it wont open... instead giving me a message "You can get the latest version, Microsoft Office 365, from the App Store."

I dont want 365. I simply want the software I have purchased in the past and reserved the right to reinstall it once more at a later date using my product key. Am I really screwed and coerced into using office 365 now? I've rummaged through this site for solutions, and tried may links, but nothing seems to be fixing the brick.

So close....yet so far away. Any other alternatives?

Thanks for your time and any help, cheers!

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Like RobbieDuncan said, that version of office is 32 Bit. It will not run on Catalina.

You don't necessarily have to switch to an Office 365 subscription, but you will have to buy an newer 64 bit version of Office like 2016 or 2019.

Depending on where you work you may be able to use your work email to install Office 365 on your home computer, or you may have options to buy a newer version of Office 365 thru the Home Use Program (HUP). My employer offers both, so I usually buy the new version of Office for $15 or whatever it is when the offer comes out.

Cayenne1

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2016
Knoxville, TN
I have a Windows version of Office 11, Visio and Photoshop CS6. To run them, I use Parallels on my Mac to run an XP Virtual Machine (VM). Works seamlessly. I also use Parallels to run a High Sierra VM to use Cover Flow for scanning my photo library. Cover Flow was dropped by Apple in Mojave.

So, it may work to run Parallels on your new Mac, create a High Sierra or Mojave VM and load your Office 11 in the VM. Parallels has a 14 day trial.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Yep, as others have said... i've stayed on Mojave for this exact reason... ms office 2011 and other software i like are still 32-bit.

you don't have to get 365. if i'm not mistaken, you can purchase a newer version of office.

on another but similar note, i do think about trying to go "office free" on the 2020 MacBook air that i'm picking up in a few days.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
... I simply want the software I have purchased in the past and reserved the right to reinstall it once more at a later date using my product key.
You can still reinstall it, once more, twice more, unlimited times more... as long as you don't upgrade your hardware, OS or other software that may interfere with Office 2011's operation. MS doesn't force you/us to buy newer computers or update our OS.

10 years is a long time to run software without paying for an update. I would say you got your money's worth.

Am I really screwed and coerced into using office 365 now? I've rummaged through this site for solutions, and tried may links, but nothing seems to be fixing the brick.
If you want to run the latest MS Office, then yes, you are screwed. But you can get the home version of Office for $249 (one-time price, no subscription). In your case, that would come out to $25 per year of use... that's a smokin' deal.

...Any other alternatives?
Plenty. You could use Apple's own free apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Notes apps). There are a ton of MS Office-compatible office suites out there, some are even free (though clunky and ugly to use). And of course, you can use the actual MS Office apps from Microsoft on the web absolutely free, you just have to sign up for an Outlook.com email account.

Reactions: kohlson and bobob

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
Either you use Mojave so you can still run 32bit software, subscribe to Office 365 or you buy Office Home & Student 2019 for £120.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
You can still reinstall it, once more, twice more, unlimited times more... as long as you don't upgrade your hardware, OS or other software that may interfere with Office 2011's operation. MS doesn't force you/us to buy newer computers or update our OS.

10 years is a long time to run software without paying for an update. I would say you got your money's worth.

If you want to run the latest MS Office, then yes, you are screwed. But you can get the home version of Office for $249 (one-time price, no subscription). In your case, that would come out to $25 per year of use... that's a smokin' deal.

Plenty. You could use Apple's own free apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Notes apps). There are a ton of MS Office-compatible office suites out there, some are even free (though clunky and ugly to use). And of course, you can use the actual MS Office apps from Microsoft on the web absolutely free, you just have to sign up for an Outlook.com email account.
Thank-you for this informative write-up.

What are the downsides to using Apple's Pages app compared to ponying up the money for the latest MS Word?

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I ended up buying the office "Home version" after years of holding on to 2011. My ego, for no rational reason took a hit that I wasn't buying the most robust version. No subscription. Amazon had a discount price when I purchased it.

I couldn't help but fondly recall the Steve Jobs Keynote presentation where he explained the Microsoft way of rolling out an OS upgrade.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
you didn't lose this battle... it was a strategic retreat. let's hope for a more glorious future when we don't need office.

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
you didn't lose this battle... it was a strategic retreat. let's hope for a more glorious future when we don't need office.

I don't see that happening and as long as Microsoft keeps making first rate cross platform versions of Office I don't see why anyone should care.

Reactions: mj_

halofan56

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Recently I had just upgraded my mac, and have held onto my product key from years ago to put into any new computer (like this current situation).

I re-downloaded Office 2011, version 14.7.7 (last stable update). It accepted my key and everything, the software is on my computer, but accompanied by a cross and it wont open... instead giving me a message "You can get the latest version, Microsoft Office 365, from the App Store."

I dont want 365. I simply want the software I have purchased in the past and reserved the right to reinstall it once more at a later date using my product key. Am I really screwed and coerced into using office 365 now? I've rummaged through this site for solutions, and tried may links, but nothing seems to be fixing the brick.

So close....yet so far away. Any other alternatives?

Thanks for your time and any help, cheers!
I have Office 2016 that runs fine on Catalina. You still get updates thru Microsoft Autoupdate embedded within Office. You have to download it. You'll get the same look and feel. It is still available thru Amazon. Office 2011 is a 32 bit app.

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
Reactions: TiggrToo

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Since getting into macs in 2014,I have bought 2011 and 2016 Office for Business, at approx €500/600. In the current climate - business closed, no income, but still have to do government returns on MS Office, I don’t want/can’t upgrade to 2019 version.

Realistically, am I vulnerable to any security issues from October by not upgrading? If I am, is there anything I can do to make it more secure (such as not allowing Office apps access to the internet by disallowing such activity by using Cookie by SweetP)? Word and Excel for me have no need to be accessed by any other app or from anyone, other than people I email documents to. None of my documents are put on any cloud server.

Thanks

Aika

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2006
Since getting into macs in 2014,I have bought 2011 and 2016 Office for Business, at approx €500/600. In the current climate - business closed, no income, but still have to do government returns on MS Office, I don’t want/can’t upgrade to 2019 version.

Realistically, am I vulnerable to any security issues from October by not upgrading? If I am, is there anything I can do to make it more secure (such as not allowing Office apps access to the internet by disallowing such activity by using Cookie by SweetP)? Word and Excel for me have no need to be accessed by any other app or from anyone, other than people I email documents to. None of my documents are put on any cloud server.

Thanks

For your use case you should be fine, just keep an ear to the ground and stay informed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.