Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
Whilst I'm a Nikon shooter I am very tempted to get this camera. I'll wait a few months for reviews and probably buy a second hand one.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Good timing.

30d on Craigslist soon, and I am on the list at my local dealer for one of their first 40d models.

The Megapixel size change isn't the biggest selling point for me, the quicker burst mode and larger buffer are something I am really into, that and the more durable case design.

!!!

::EDIT::

I will be waiting for DPReview or similar to do some image tests first though, as Compact sensor noise is something I am not in the mood for, though I like Canon's results for the most part in previous models.

Annndy!

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Halethorpe, MD
After seeing this, I'm thinking it may be time for me to upgrade as well. I just received Aperture as a gift too. Anybody wanna buy a Digital Rebel XT? :p

-hh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
After seeing this, I'm thinking it may be time for me to upgrade as well. I just received Aperture as a gift too. Anybody wanna buy a Digital Rebel XT? :p

I might be interested....I'm probably going to move to digital for my Underwater camera system within the next year, and while I'd love to spring for a 5D to get great wide angle, that's going to cost too much.

If I can find a housing that would fit both a Rebel XT and a 20D, that would be a nice way to have some flexibility...

-hh

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I might be interested....I'm probably going to move to digital for my Underwater camera system within the next year, and while I'd love to spring for a 5D to get great wide angle, that's going to cost too much.

If I can find a housing that would fit both a Rebel XT and a 20D, that would be a nice way to have some flexibility...

I think I'm safe in saying it'll never happen. The 350D/XT and 20D are too different in size for a single housing to take both. 20D and 5D is more believable, but I still have my doubts.

5D + 17-40mm and 100mm macro looks like the way I want to go with my underwater photography ... just have to save the dough ... *sigh*

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
This camera has a nice price. Though I will wait for reviews. Hopefully it is a giant step up from the 400D specially since it is using only an improved sensor from the 400D.

MacUserSince87

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
Northern Virginia, USA
This camera has a nice price. Though I will wait for reviews. Hopefully it is a giant step up from the 400D specially since it is using only an improved sensor from the 400D.

A few of the notable new features vs 30D are:

10.2 MP sensor (self cleaning)
Improved sensor site lens design (vs similar resolution 400D)
Auto ISO - ISO and B/W mode indicator in viewfinder
Digic III and improved AF (cross AF on all 9 points at f/5.6)
1-D style menus
Dedicated AF button (no more need to set C.FN 04)
Control of 580exII flash from camera menu
New sRAW mode (1/2 size files in RAW format)
Live View on LCD (but no AF in that mode)
Seals on CF card / Battery Door
Camera doesn't shut down if CF door opened
Three user setting memories
Interchangeable Viewfinder screens
Optional Wi-Fi transmitter integrated into battery grip.

There is also a new support application: Scene Style Editor which allows create of custom styles.

I have a 20D at home and 400D at work. I skipped the 30D because I didn't deem it worth price vs the 400D. The 40D is certainly more a more attractive upgrade with some useful new convenience features, but in light of the AF problems with the 1DmkIII I think I'll wait for user feedback before seriously considering buying one.

It will be interesting to see what if anything is done with regard to upgrading the 5D. Canon fabs its own sensors and also makes the fab machines. The 1.6 and 1.3 crop chips are both made with one exposure per layer when making the sensor but the full-frame sensors require three stepped overlapping exposures making manufacturing more difficult and spoilage higher.

Chuck Gardner

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia

1-D style menus

There is also a new support application: Scene Style Editor which allows create of custom styles.

I have a 20D at home and 400D at work. I skipped the 30D because I didn't deem it worth price vs the 400D. The 40D is certainly more a more attractive upgrade with some useful new convenience features, but in light of the AF problems with the 1DmkIII I think I'll wait for user feedback before seriously considering buying one.

It will be interesting to see what if anything is done with regard to upgrading the 5D. Canon fabs its own sensors and also makes the fab machines. The 1.6 and 1.3 crop chips are both made with one exposure per layer when making the sensor but the full-frame sensors require three stepped overlapping exposures making manufacturing more difficult and spoilage higher.

Chuck Gardner

I am aware of what your are saying. It is just that the picture quality matters much more than features to me. So if the picture quality is similar to a 400D I may as well save some money and go with a 400D.

JMD123

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007

1-D style menus

Chuck Gardner

One other thing is the viewing screen went from 2.5 to 3inches.

I cant see dumping my 30d for this. Well at least until I see it.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Additionally

RAW (.CR2; 14-bit )
Kelvin White Balance mode - Kelvin (2500 - 10000 K)
6.5 FPS Burst mode with a 75 JPEG and 17 RAW frame buffer

I am hoping this reviews well, as I would like to move into this caliber camera from my 30d, if the images are acceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.