Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjones185

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Warner Robins,GA
Hello,

I must share my excitement with everyone. After almost four months of reading, reading, and more reading and agonizing over the decision between lenses I got my shipment in the mail. I was torn between what route to go with camera sensors (i.e. full frame or crop). After much deliberation I decided to stay with crop camera's. It mostly came down to cost verse return. I'm a hobbyist and will never make a living or enough money to justify the jump to full frame.

First; I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR YOUR FEEDBACK, YOU ARE AN AWESOME GROUP OF PEOPLE AND THIS SITE IS BY FAR MY FAVORITE!

Biggest thing I got from everyone, weather is was a reply to my post or reading someone else s is lenses, lenses, lenses. I went with that advice and I received hopefully three awesome lenses in the mail today.

To complement my Canon 70-200 2.8 IS and replace my old 28-135 I got the:

Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS
Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX DC
Canon EF-S 60mm 2.8 Macro

I can not wait to use these lenses. Next on my list is either the Canon 10-22 or the Tokina 11-16. I like the idea of sticking to F2.8 or faster, but have heard big things about the Canon 10-22 and flair issues with the Tokina, anyway, that's for another thread :)

Also in my future to complement my Canon 40D is the 7D or is update.

Oh, another surprise I got today is a buddy of mine sent me a dedicated slide scanner to scan all my slides from my film days. I have about 10,000 slides of military aircraft from my film days. I'm currently stationed at Osan AB, Korea without my family so I brought all of them with me to scan.

Once again thank you for all your feedback and kindness for repetitive questions that these type forums generate.

Mike

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
scanning 10,000 slides is gonna take a looong time O.O

for ultra-wides, you should consider either Sigma 10-20's. the f/4-5.6 is cheaper (and slower...) than the Canon but performs just as well, except for flare, and the newer 10-20 f/3.5 is even better.

10-20 f/4-5.6 vs 10-22

scoami

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Hello,

I'm currently stationed at Osan AB, Korea without my family so I brought all of them with me to scan.

Mike

I've been to Osan a few times. I was in the Navy stationed in Japan. We used to go on "training missions" and stay a few days. Are you active duty, or civilian?

mjones185

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Warner Robins,GA
scoami

I'm active duty Air Force for 18 years. I was in one of those scenarios where even though I did two extended long tours in Europe (Mildenhall England and Ramstein Germany four years each) I never did a short tour so got nonvoled to Osan. It's not bad at all, been here five months and come back in December. Trying to get out and take pictures but the weather has been so damn bad here and nothing's growing yet.

I see some Navy sailors from time-to-time but mostly Army here with us. Also the Republic of Korean Air Force (ROKAF) as well. It's cool to see an F-4 still flying (ROKAF have them).

Mike

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
you'll love the 70-200. You buy new or used?

I had both the 10-20mm and the 10-22. It is pretty much a toss up. For $200 more, you get 2mm on the long end. You don't even get a lens hood either, which is another $40 or so :/

The Canon was probably a little better build (probably on par with the 17-55), IQ would probably go to the Sigma. The Sigma is heavy though and is built well. I mean it is no 18-55IS :).

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I think you're on track for super wide zoom thinking Canon or Tokina, but you really should consider the Tokina 12-24 f/4 version too. It's plenty fast for a superwide, and it's a little less expensive than the Canon, and the additional 8mm on the long end is much more handy than you might think at first--at least that's my experience. It's plenty wide to give unusual perspecitives and distortion for those creative shots and landscapes, but you won't find yourself needing to change lenses as often when compared to the 11-16, or a Sigma 10-20. The Tokinas are built like pro lenses, which gives a certain confidence in the field, and the latest versions are about as flare resistant as is possible, given any wide-angle len's prepensity to scatter light. (Note: this is not to say they aren't subject to flare...when sun hits the front element, you can expect some form of it, but the new versions of their lenses have new, improved coatings intended to reduce flare.)

Whatever you choose, enjoy all your new glass. Sounds like you're going to be taking lots of photos, so come back and share some of them here on the POTD thread or the fortnight challenge or the weekly contest, or just make your own thread... I look forward to seeing them. :)

mjones185

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Warner Robins,GA
you'll love the 70-200. You buy new or used?

I had both the 10-20mm and the 10-22. It is pretty much a toss up. For $200 more, you get 2mm on the long end. You don't even get a lens hood either, which is another $40 or so :/

The Canon was probably a little better build (probably on par with the 17-55), IQ would probably go to the Sigma. The Sigma is heavy though and is built well. I mean it is no 18-55IS :).

I got my 70-200 2.8 IS almost two years ago new from B&H. These lenses came from B&H as well. Super fast shipping even to Korea.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
scoami

(Mildenhall England and Ramstein Germany four years each)

It's cool to see an F-4 still flying (ROKAF have them).

Mike

I went to HS at Lakenheath while my dad was stationed at Mildenhall- well before your time though. They were still flying the SR-71 and U2/TR-1.

The best description I've ever seen of an F-4 was "So ugly I thought they'd delivered it upside-down." ;) We had those at Alconbury along with a squadron of F-5's, which were way better looking! I do remember sneaking into maintenance hangers and climbing over the F-4s as a kid though.

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.