Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
I gotta order my new dslr tomorrow morning (traveling/shippin' issues) and I gotta decide what am I gonna get.

First my needs:

-I'm a very very amateur photographer (heck I wouldn't even call myself a photographer really) but I love to take pics, not really a "sit in a corner and take the perfect pic, or "I can't travel without a camera because I might miss a VERY nice oportunity to take great pics" type of person but I'm the one who ALWAYS takes his p&s camera to a party/trip/ because I love to remember moments. To me photography is all about remembering moments (party, a trip with friends, etc) more than having a collection of cool photos just for the sake of it.

So, I already have a 3 year old Canon Powershot which still works great for what it does, and instead of spending 300 + on another P&S I'd rather get an entry level dslr. Having said what my photography needs are, I want something not so expensive, because honestly I don't need more. I've been thinking about the Nikon D40 a lot....it's small, I don't really need more than 6 mp honestly and it's somewhat cheap whilst excellent quality.

Now I'd get the D40 without much though if it wasn't for a few things:

a) my girl is getting a Canon XTi in a few months (she's an Architech-Landscaper) and it'd be nice to be able to swap lenses with her, so I've though about the Canon option.

b) I've had GREAT xp with my canon powershot (picture quality) and the menu/interface is very easy for me to use.... so maybe staying with the company I've been happy with so far could be an intelligent move.

c) Nikon D40 doesn't have auto focus....... this seems like a big deal (or not??) I'm a total noob to dslrs so I don't know how would this affect my photography needs.

Now, the only thing holding me back from getting a Canon, is honestly price....... I can't seem to find the competition for the Nikon D40 in price/specs......... I've seen the Canon Digital Rebel XT, but it's more expensive than the D40 and seems less "sturdy" than the D40.

My heart is telling me to go with the Nikon D40, but the ability to swap lenses with my girl and the lack of auto focus in it is holding me back. The Lens swaping would be "cool" and could come in handy, but it's not a deal breaker for me because I won't need much.... I'll be happy with the kit lens, a wide angle lens and maybe a fish eye for fun, and all these I could buy myself really. Her camera will be for work purposes while my cam will be totally for fun, so she could bitch about her lenses.

please...help me out guys/girls. :confused:

P.S.
I know these type of threads come up a lot and I've used the search funtion, but I needed to explain my particular case, so pardon me.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
D40 has autofocus. With AF-S (a.k.a. HSM) lenses.

What it doesn't have is a motor. So it doesn't autofocus with plain AF (not AF-S) lenses, which don't have a motor either.

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Agreed with cube. AF-S lenses have a focus motor, so you'll be fine with those. For most primes (which don't have a focus motor), you'll have to focus manually.

First things first: What's your budget? $300 only?

Jan 30, 2006
What the D40 lacks is the built-in motor for AF. But using an AF-S lens, the D40 would autofocus.

Of all the points only the first one "a)" could change your decision. Being able to swap lenses might be a nice thing.

Both are great cameras. But for the price, you really can't beat the D40.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
I can really stretch up to 800 bucks, but honestly, It's too much for what I'll do really..... plus I gotta get: SD card, bag, and I'd like to get another lens.

So I don't want to spend more than 600 bucks for example.

AF-S lens......now....if I get the D40 kit..(the one that comes with a lens.....will this lens be AF-S ?? how do I make sure the lens I get is AF-S?

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Cameta offers a D40 package which includes the body + lens kit, plus an SDHC card and bag (the one I'm thinking about is offered via Amazon) for around $480. Cameta is a reputable company.

As always, no matter which company you're thinking about going with, check http://www.resellerratings.com to see if they're a legitimate outfit or not.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
Cameta offers a D40 package which includes the body + lens kit, plus an SDHC card and bag (the one I'm thinking about is offered via Amazon) for around $480. Cameta is a reputable company.

As always, no matter which company you're thinking about going with, check http://www.resellerratings.com to see if they're a legitimate outfit or not.

Nice I'll be ordering through Amazon, mind pointing me to the amazon link of this??

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
alright guys, thanks a lot......I just placed the order for the D40 (the Cameta's deal through Amazon) thank a lot tip! :)

My girl was begging me to reconsider and get the Canon (she likes Canon more) but in this particular case my instinct was speaking to me. Plus the price/specs/deal cannot be beat. :D

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
guys, where can I get a nice lcd protector? I'd like to buy through Amazon but I only seem ti find the "plastic" paper type of protectors (like the iphone screen protectors) and I'd like something better, like this:

Jackar_Pro_Optical_Glass_LCD_Protector_For_Digital_Camera.jpg

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA

I was going to mention that I recently paid $469 for the D40 kit at Circuit City, but that sounds like an even better deal.

My heart is telling me to go with the Nikon D40, but the ability to swap lenses with my girl and the lack of auto focus in it is holding me back. The Lens swaping would be "cool" and could come in handy, but it's not a deal breaker for me because I won't need much.... I'll be happy with the kit lens, a wide angle lens and maybe a fish eye for fun, and all these I could buy myself really. Her camera will be for work purposes while my cam will be totally for fun, so she could bitch about her lenses.

I recently bought one after using a Minolta X-700 manual focus 35mm for several years, and still can't get over how cool the D40 is. It's the perfect size for me and has lots of useful in-camera editing features.

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of focus motor. The in-lens focus motors are a superior system IMO, and there are more than enough options that I would imagine fit your needs. But even if you did get your hands on an AF lens (the type which require in-body focus motor), manual focusing isn't a big deal. In fact, I recently bought a 50mm manual focus Nikkor that doesn't even meter on the D40. Yes, in fact not only do you have to focus manually, but you have to use your eyes to set the exposure as well. And the results can be quite rewarding!

A friend of mine has the Sigma 10-20mm HSM. It works absolutely wonderfully on the D40 and I bet it would meet all of your wide angle needs.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
guys, where can I get a nice lcd protector? I'd like to buy through Amazon but I only seem ti find the "plastic" paper type of protectors (like the iphone screen protectors) and I'd like something better, like this:

Jackar_Pro_Optical_Glass_LCD_Protector_For_Digital_Camera.jpg

There is really no need for a screen protector, as they've got one built in. The exterior layer is just a piece of glass that protects the screen, and if it were to break (very unlikely) its inexpensive to get repaired.

With that said, I put screen protectors on to keep smudges off; but not glass ones like what you've linked (I have a d300 which includes a big plastic screen protector, but I don't like it)

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
I suggest getting an XTi along with your girlfriend if you're on that tight of a budget.

The lens is up to you, though. You're not going to get decent glass with that budget, let alone two decent lenses.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
c) Nikon D40 doesn't have auto focus....... this seems like a big deal (or not??) I'm a total noob to dslrs so I don't know how would this affect my photography needs.

The Nikon D40 does in fact have autofocus. The only thing is that it does not have this feature if used with some of nikon's older design lenses. You'd certainly be buying a new-style lens with your D40.

You were smart to think about lenses you might want later. With the D40 you' not be able to use some of Nikon's lenses (because they will not automatically focus on the D40) and of course none of the Canon lenses would fit. But you'd have to consider if you'd ever want some of these. If you are correct about not being serious about photography you could be happy with just the one lens.

Next you should consider this: Which lens to get with the camera? Yes you can pick ANY of them and there are quite a few. You don't have to get the 18-55. Look at the 18-70 and 18-135. If you get one on the others you may not ever need another one.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
guys, where can I get a nice lcd protector?

You are not going to need it. The Nikon D40 already has glass over the LCD that is very hard and durable.

Likewise don't let them talk you into a filter to "protect" the lens either. A filter good enough ("supper multicoated") not to degrade the quality of that lens will cost about 1/2 the price of the lens and does not protect rom the most common mishap (mechanical damage due to impact) Don't ever bother with a cheap filter, you be better off shooting through minor scratches and dings than a cheap filter. The inclued lens hood and cap is the best lens protector.

If you must buy something look into either a tripod or and SB600 flash either of these will make a difference that you can see in the final print.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Since you already bought a D40, it's to late to change your mind. But you should have taken a few hours to think a little before buying a camera that uses other lenses than what your girlfriend already has. In the long run, unless you break-up, you will end-up spending a lot more on lenses for the new camera. Instead of the Canon 40D you had in mind, you could have purchased a XTi, or even a brand new this year, Canon XS, and could have used the same lenses she has. The XS costs a little less than $700.00 with a 18-55mm IS kit lens. It has a 10MP sensor, but is an entry level camera that includes Live View among a few other features.

Now, about the 40D: This is a great camera, but is over a year old now. Canon upgrades entry-level cameras up to the 10D series (10D, 30D, 40D, etc.) every 12 to 18 months or so. For new buyers, it would be better to wait a few weeks and buy the upgraded 40D, which is the 50D. It costs a lot more, but it will take at least another year before Canon upgrades it to 60D.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
Since you already bought a D40, it's to late to change your mind. But you should have taken a few hours to think a little before buying a camera that uses other lenses than what your girlfriend already has. In the long run, unless you break-up, you will end-up spending a lot more on lenses for the new camera. Instead of the Canon 40D you had in mind, you could have purchased a XTi, or even a brand new this year, Canon XS, and could have used the same lenses she has. The XS costs a little less than $700.00 with a 18-55mm IS kit lens.

thank you for the advice, I searched a lot before buying (me and my girl have been researching for the last two months). She hasn't bought her camera yet, but like I said here... her camera and lenses will be used for very different purposes than mine, and I know she will be more anal about her lenses than I will.....since her camera is for work and stuff. I prefer to have my own stuff.

plus 700 is still a lot of money...I didn't want to spend more than 500, and luckly I spent $480 :D

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
thank you for the advice, I searched a lot before buying (me and my girl have been researching for the last two months). She hasn't bought her camera yet, but like I said here... her camera and lenses will be used for very different purposes than mine, and I know she will be more anal about her lenses than I will.....since her camera is for work and stuff. I prefer to have my own stuff.

plus 700 is still a lot of money...I didn't want to spend more than 500, and luckly I spent $480 :D

Good points. Please allow me to congratulate you on your new purchase.;)

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Since you already bought a D40, it's to late to change your mind. But you should have taken a few hours to think a little before buying a camera that uses other lenses than what your girlfriend already has. In the long run, unless you break-up, you will end-up spending a lot more on lenses for the new camera. Instead of the Canon 40D you had in mind, you could have purchased a XTi, or even a brand new this year, Canon XS, and could have used the same lenses she has. The XS costs a little less than $700.00 with a 18-55mm IS kit lens. It has a 10MP sensor, but is an entry level camera that includes Live View among a few other features.

Now, about the 40D: This is a great camera, but is over a year old now. Canon upgrades entry-level cameras up to the 10D series (10D, 30D, 40D, etc.) every 12 to 18 months or so. For new buyers, it would be better to wait a few weeks and buy the upgraded 40D, which is the 50D. It costs a lot more, but it will take at least another year before Canon upgrades it to 60D.

There's like a $400 difference between the 40d and 50d. I'd almost argue that putting $400 into higher quality glass will yield better photos than going from a 40d to 50d.

The camera isn't going to make much difference when it comes to most amateur/hobbyists. And I'm proof of that. I went from a rebel XT to the 40D and I didn't see any significant improvement in image quality nor do I take photos any better after the switch. :) Unless you know your photo skills are being held back by your current camera, there's little reason to spend so much on the latest and greatest body. Invest heavily in glass as that's what you will keep and grow with for years to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.