Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
Just got my Digital Rebel XT last night (woohoo!), but I am soon going to be in the market for a small P&S as well (for taking to concerts or places where a huge SLR isn't do-able). I'm looking for something small that will fit in my pocket, and takes quality shots.

A couple I've been looking at are Sony Cybershot DSC-T100 and Canon Powershot SD1000.

Does anyone have experience with either of these? I'm leaning towards the Canon since my SLR is a Canon, just to keep things consistent :p

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
If you're looking for a quality compact, then check out the Fuji f31. Here is a link to the dpreview. During some of the tests, this little thing ran circles around a Nikon D50 with a prime lens on.

It's a little too thick I think. I'm looking for very small so it fits well in my pocket.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
IMO the best "compact" is the Leica D-Lux 3. It will give excellent results and it's small enough to fit into your pocket ... :)

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I have the same rebel you have, and also wanted a small point and shoot to work with. I bought the SD1000 you are looking at and love it. It is a very nice little camera. Takes great pics, and has 7mp. Does everything I want of it and is VERY compact. I will never buy a sony product period, and wanted a canon as my SLR was the same brand and I have owned several canon cameras over the years.

My advise is to not go too crazy on buying the best point and shoot since it will never be an SLR. The canon has a perfect size. Good luck

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
I have the same rebel you have, and also wanted a small point and shoot to work with. I bought the SD1000 you are looking at and love it. It is a very nice little camera. Takes great pics, and has 7mp. Does everything I want of it and is VERY compact. I will never buy a sony product period, and wanted a canon as my SLR was the same brand and I have owned several canon cameras over the years.

My advise is to not go too crazy on buying the best point and shoot since it will never be an SLR. The canon has a perfect size. Good luck

Awesome, thanks for sharing

fuzzwud

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Houston
I have been in your situation too. I've a Canon Rebel XT and I needed a P&S too because in some situations, the dSLR was just too bulky. I highly recommend the CanonSD1000 which I bought from Amazon. Compared to a Kodak $150 P&S, the SD1000 is superb in resolution. Don't expect image quality to be like the XT, but it's similar. Both the Rebel XT and the SD1000 have the same Digic III processor too.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I have been in your situation too. I've a Canon Rebel XT and I needed a P&S too because in some situations, the dSLR was just too bulky. I highly recommend the CanonSD1000 which I bought from Amazon. Compared to a Kodak $150 P&S, the SD1000 is superb in resolution. Don't expect image quality to be like the XT, but it's similar. Both the Rebel XT and the SD1000 have the same Digic III processor too.

The Rebel XT actually has the Digic II.
For an ultra-compact camera, both the Sony and the Canon will fit the bill. I have a Sony DSC-T9, and it's a fun little camera that I like taking to parties and whathave you. One thing that you will notice with ALL ultracompact cameras is that every shot that is taken indoors with a flash will produce redeye. This simply has to do with the proximity of the flash to the lens. This is the main reason I suggested the slightly larger Fuji. If you're not looking to take breathtaking pictures, and can live with correcting the redeye of each shot you take, then either the Sony or one of the Elphs will suffice.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
I personally just throw on a small lense and take only my camera in a small bag. No bigger than most women's purses (note: I am not a women, just making a comparison) and it'll work for a small trip. I just hate spending more money for something else to lose/break/put batteries in.

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
If you don't seriously look at Fuji's offerings, you're doing yourself a disservice. My 6.3MP F10 does a great job, has a huge screen and is easy to use.

If the size works, consider the E900. 4x zoom which is a little iffy, but 9.2MP and they're only like $200.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I've got a D70s and have just got a Canon Ixus 70 (called something else in The States) it's a great little camera, love the retro styling - it's exactly like an Elph I bought in America in '99 - and the fact that it has a fairly good manula mode; shutter speed, iso, exposure, WB can all be manually set. And it has the Digic III system IIRC. For £152 it was a steal.

Shame Nikon can't match Canon with P&S cameras :(

:EDIT: Well whadya know.... the Ixus 70 is the Powershot SD1000! Get it, its brilliant!

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
Well I think this thread has helped me choose :)

SD1000 it is! Thanks

eldino

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2007
Italy
Stay away from Pentax point-and-shoot. They suck in the mid-term.
I bought a Pentax 4mpxl 2 years ago and I'm a lot disappointed by it.

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
I've got to throw out another vote for biting the 'slightly thicker' bullet, and picking up a Fuji F20 - its the non manual versino of the f30.. its like $150, which is soo cheap - I use it for a little digital sketchbook.. friends jaws drop when they see the quality I can capture using 1600ISO- IMO the artifacts look nicer than a dSLR like the d80 at that speed.. however the image is mostly to be used for a tweaked b/w or I use it for printmaking or image to work from... - but fuji really has the lowlight sensor down to a science- far beyond canon and their noise that sets in at 400. Its thicker in my pocket than I wish it was.. but its well worth it for what its capable of shooting when i'd just get blur with another camera.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Can't you take the DSLR most places? Good p and s cameras are quite pricey. An alternative would be a good cell phone p and s set up. Sony Ericsson is coming out with a 5mp camera phone soon. I think it is th 950? It is a walkman media phone so it covers quite a bit of ground.

Nanpd

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2006
If you want a P&S that you can take to places where you would never take your SLR, the Pentax Optio W30 is only a little larger than most of the cameras people have mentioned but goes 7' underwater. I have the prior model and have been pleasantly surprised. Olympus makes a similar model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.