Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I have a Macbook Pro (M3 Pro) that is almost always with its lid closed (clamshell mode), connected to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, and a Logitech Webcam C930e that also functions as an external microphone. The machine is always connected to power.

When you restart the machine Siri works great. I invoke it with CMD+Spacebar (I don't use "Hey Siri") and it listens to my voice perfectly. The problem is that if I have to disconnect the webcam (because I use it also with my work PC) when I reconnect it to the Mac, Siri stops listening. The microphone is detected and works perfectly with every other app in the system, it is just Siri that stops listening. I have checked in the audio settings that the webcam is still selected as the default audio input device, and I can see in the microphone gain test there that the system is detecting my voice.

I have tried disabling and enabling Siri, selecting another device as audio input in macOS audio settings, and returning to the webcam, nothing seems to solve the issue. The only thing that solves it is a system restart.

This bug has been present for years, it was present in my old Intel Macbook Pro 2019 and now in this new M3 one. It has been present in all macOS versions since Catalina to Sonoma. The OS has been reinstalled several times from scratch during the years, yet the bug is always present.

I am interested to know if anyone has seen this at their end and if there is any known way to correct this issue. Thank you.

Last edited:

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Is it a bug? When the lid is closed the internal microphone is disconnected in hardware. This seems more like a security feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.