Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
hello guys, found a video on youtube upgrade ram for macbook air:

but dont know if workable on macbook pro, anyone has a ideal how to upgrade 32go for the old model? thanks

slam5

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011

but dont know if workable on macbook pro, anyone has a ideal how to upgrade 32go for the old model? thanks

How old is the MacBook Pro? Older yes, newer no.

slam5

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011

This video is crazy! The possibility for a non-trained tech to un-solder and re-solder surface mount memory modules are almost impossible. One mistake can fry your air. It is as simple as that.

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
For each chip there are special time-temperature ramps you have to follow for soldering. Otherwise the chips can degrade or solder pads brake later in use.

Without professional equipment (hot air gun is not ;)) this is Russian roulette

slide_13.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: iPhonagain

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Retina has 2 soldered slots with memory chips, so max limit for one slot DDR3 or LPDDR3 (depends of model) is 8GB, so maximum possible upgrade will be 16GB, also this video doesn't show procedure on Retina model

max upgrade for AIR model is from 4GB to 8GB, also you need buy new memory chips from "grey market" and if anyone of the chip will be defective the laptop will wouldn't turn on, it's not worth even if you have professional equipment, too much risk

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Only a fool would try this at home.
(Unless one was trained in professional soldering techniques and had the equipment with which to perform same)

Reactions: Rocko99991

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
Retina has 2 soldered slots with memory chips, so max limit for one slot DDR3 or LPDDR3 (depends of model) is 8GB, so maximum possible upgrade will be 16GB, also this video doesn't show procedure on Retina model

max upgrade for AIR model is from 4GB to 8GB, also you need buy new memory chips from "grey market" and if anyone of the chip will be defective the laptop will wouldn't turn on, it's not worth even if you have professional equipment, too much risk

Only a fool would try this at home.
(Unless one was trained in professional soldering techniques and had the equipment with which to perform same)

Yeah you are right, but still want to try to do it, some people likes to jogging, some people likes football, me i live mac, my spare time i teardown my laptop and mac pro, then resemble them again to dispersion of daily works, really want to see how to do upgrade 32gb, but you are right need to find the ram chips first, i think sould be end of this year china market will provide the second hand ones.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Yeah you are right, but still want to try to do it, some people likes to jogging, some people likes football, me i live mac, my spare time i teardown my laptop and mac pro, then resemble them again to dispersion of daily works, really want to see how to do upgrade 32gb, but you are right need to find the ram chips first, i think sould be end of this year china market will provide the second hand ones.
I told you, 32GB isn't possible, the max is 16GB, also these memory chips are expensive and it's a big risk to get defective chip, because you have to buy from some "grey market", not legit shop, but if you want destroy the logic board it's your way to do it

Reactions: Ploki

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Chipset doesn't support 16GB - that's why they switched to DDR4 in 2018 MacBook Pro's.

You'd need to do a hell of a lot more than just resolder RAM chips to get 32GB in old retina mbps.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
Chipset doesn't support 16GB - that's why they switched to DDR4 in 2018 MacBook Pro's.

You'd need to do a hell of a lot more than just resolder RAM chips to get 32GB in old retina mbps.

THAT IS TRUE, I MAY RETHINK OF IT MAYBE I WILL DO IT NEXT YEAR
[doublepost=1541174777][/doublepost]
I told you, 32GB isn't possible, the max is 16GB, also these memory chips are expensive and it's a big risk to get defective chip, because you have to buy from some "grey market", not legit shop, but if you want destroy the logic board it's your way to do it

WHY IS THAT : NOT SUPPORTED 32GB? WE KNOW THAT BASICLY THE SYSTEM CAN TAKE 8 AND 16, SO WHY NOT 32? APPLE NEED TO DO MORE EXTRA WORKS ON THEIR SYSTEM TO DO THING NOBODY CAN DO, I DONT KNOW IF THAT IS REASONABLE OR RENTABLE TO DO THAT.

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
APPLE NEED TO DO MORE EXTRA WORKS ON THEIR SYSTEM TO DO THING NOBODY CAN DO, I DONT KNOW IF THAT IS REASONABLE OR RENTABLE TO DO THAT.

Business wise there is a reason why they don’t do it: money:)
They earn more if you just buy a new machine with 32gb. Easy as that

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Business wise there is a reason why they don’t do it: money:)
They earn more if you just buy a new machine with 32gb. Easy as that

Not as clear-cut.
Not all retina models CPUs support 32GB of RAM.
2012 doesn't. 2015 should.
However, without know exactly which chipset is used, it might be that even if CPU allows 32GB of RAM, chipset doesn't.

dont know about others

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
THAT IS TRUE, I MAY RETHINK OF IT MAYBE I WILL DO IT NEXT YEAR
[doublepost=1541174777][/doublepost]

WHY IS THAT : NOT SUPPORTED 32GB? WE KNOW THAT BASICLY THE SYSTEM CAN TAKE 8 AND 16, SO WHY NOT 32? APPLE NEED TO DO MORE EXTRA WORKS ON THEIR SYSTEM TO DO THING NOBODY CAN DO, I DONT KNOW IF THAT IS REASONABLE OR RENTABLE TO DO THAT.
because the design of MacBook Pro doesn't allow to do that, you are better engineer than Apple? go ahead and redesign the logic board, please add also sockets for SO-DIMMs

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
because the design of MacBook Pro doesn't allow to do that, you are better engineer than Apple? go ahead and redesign the logic board, please add also sockets for SO-DIMMs
it not the questions of better engineer or not, as usual apple annouce the limit on ancien mac, if you remerber the macbook pro non retina always has double capacite of ram than maximum apple annouced, and so other things, so that's why i think it maybe more complicated little bit, but finally will work for another version. tell me if nobody tried yet, how did you know it not workable? the experience is the only way to exam the truth.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
it not the questions of better engineer or not, as usual apple annouce the limit on ancien mac, if you remerber the macbook pro non retina always has double capacite of ram than maximum apple annouced, and so other things, so that's why i think it maybe more complicated little bit, but finally will work for another version. tell me if nobody tried yet, how did you know it not workable? the experience is the only way to exam the truth.
Which model/year MacBook Pro do you have ?

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
you have only 2 soldered slots, you need 4 slots to 32GB because limit on CPU/PCH, I have a gaming laptop with 4 slots DDR3 and currently I have 32GB memory

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Take your laptop and throw it in the dumpster. I just saved you a lot of time and frustration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.