Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Traffic_island_bay
Hello

There are some signs and rumours of a fairly imminent release of the EP2.
I have been deliberating over getting a panasonic GF1 hence my interest.
So in partial loathing of my clichéd new product obsession,
I wondering what others here think, might be included in the
new specs for the EP2.

Oly style seems to be very minimal advances on updated models.
It does look like it will allow for a liveview finder attachment.
but will it improve on the GF1? (present differences accepted).

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
Given the leak of the EP-2 microphone attachment I wonder if the EP-2 will be more video-centric. The EP-1 already does stereo but an external mic accessory may indicate a more aggressive move into video. Perhaps a move away from video Jpeg and maybe even 1080p and better video control.

You have to think any new model will fix the two weakest areas of the EP-1: focus speed and the LCD resolution. Failure to address those issues would make an upgrade pointless.

I wouldn't expect much more than that...and I'd certainly buy it over the GF-1 if it did all that.

unid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Traffic_island_bay
Ep-2 announced

Well to update anyone who may be interested here is the press Release from Olympus.
Incidently I can't see signs that they have improved on the auto focus speed which is what i was hoping for.

Regards

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Biggest problem with the pen, to me, is the lack of flash. By the time you put a flash and viewfinder on the thing it's lost its low-key snapshot-taking profile. That's why I want a GF1. So I can inconspicuously and spontaneously take pictures at any time. Don't see the EP-2 getting a clever pop-up flash like the GF1 has.

unid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Traffic_island_bay
Well this release has me sold.
After much research and deliberation the gf1 with the 20mm kit lens looks like
the best solution to my current needs, I can live with the lo-fi evf and dream
that panny will release a better version.

Certainly wouldn't buy from the banner ad on this page though, big caveat (simply electronics),see this long thread.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
I too am disappointed by the lack of a flash. I think I'll wait and see if the rumored Sony announcement on November 18 is a GF1/EP2 competitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.