Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Olympus needed to make a $999 camera so that it sat between the $600 E-520 and $1500 E-3.

But at $1299, it doesn't fill a hole in Olympus' line-up. You can get the E-3 for the same price from some shops.

Fail?

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I almost waited on this 'tweener' instead of upgrading directly to the E-3... but
a couple weeks ago I couldn't resist the current price reductions on the E-3. For $100 more than the E-30 I have a sturdier more reliable camera, I'm sure.

There are some intriguing features though that deserve some study, like how the performance of panasonic's 12mp sensor is DR and noise wise. If I were a jpeg only shooter not concerned with weather sealing and long term durability this new Oly might appeal to me... and let's face it the next E-4 will probably be priced around $2000 with hd video to keep this E-30 body in the mid-range category.

The E-30 will make a fine back-up camera to the E-3, and the price is sure to drop below $999 within months of its release I would think.;)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Olympus needed to make a $999 camera so that it sat between the $600 E-520 and $1500 E-3.

But at $1299, it doesn't fill a hole in Olympus' line-up. You can get the E-3 for the same price from some shops.
Yeah, I didn't know the E-3 has gone down in price so significantly. Then, obviously, you're right, it's not a hole it fills. I always liked the E-3 (also, because I've used an E-20 for a long time), but the price tag was beyond anything I could afford. The beef I have with the small Olys is the viewfinder: it's way, way too small.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
The beef I have with the small Olys is the viewfinder: it's way, way too small.
You think Olys are bad, you should see the viewfinder on my Panasonic L1- can't even manual focus in low light... but now with the E-3 I don't have that problem, and it's still lighter than my L1 is. It looks like the E-30 has upgraded its viewfinder to be bright and large (98%) but the E-3 is still larger and brighter still. E-30 will make a fine backup camera for those days when the whole gear bag is not needed. I can slap the 70-300 on it and go anywhere...:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.