Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
It's stunning!

I've been toying with the idea of getting a fairly powerful compact RAW shooter for those occasions that I don't require/need my D300 yet I want more performance than my compact can offer, so the idea of micro 4/3 was intruiging.

So far I haven't been impressed by the offerings, all seem to be of a near-DSLR size, and nowhere near pocketable. Enter this Olympus gem.

A small, pocketable, micro-4/3 camera with interchangeable lenses? Combined with fantastic retro looks? Yes please!

Couple it with a hotshoe based viewfinder and I'll be very happy. No sign of an inbuilt flash, but it is only a concept after all. I'd sign up for one in a heartbeat, and I hope this goes beyond the concept stage - and that the finished article looks as good!

I'll be putting my Canon G9 plans on hold for the time being...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
This is an exciting time for digital cameras. Things have changed dramatically from May, when I was last in the market. People moving up from PnS cameras now have to do some serious homework and soulsearching!

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Looks very cool. This is what I immediately thought of when reading about the micro 4/3 system when it was announced. This looks about as interesting as the Panasonic G1 looks uninteresting.

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
When I first heard of the Micro standard, this is was the style I was thinking. It'll be interesting to see as more models are released. Perhaps the varying designs will help with overall acceptance of the format.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
I want one! Then I can use my E-510's lenses with it (with an adapter of course). Good deal (just what's the price ;)).

Even if it's just a concept I hope they release something just like this very very soon. Looks amazing.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It looks good

The first thing I noticed about the silly G1 was th fake pentaprism. If there is no optical viewfinder why the pointy looking thing on top?. I'm sure it's only purpose is so the camera will look like an SLR.

This new camera is better but still is is styled to look like a device meant to hold two spools of film. Why even do that? My ideal "micro 4/3" camera would look a lot more like a rear lens cap, just this little gadget you screw on the end of your lens. Ok it has to have space for some controls, but make it shaped to fit the hands, not a box.

All of the classic designs like the SLR or the rangfinder are designed around a 35mm film transport that has two film spools that are parallel and aligned with the film plane. We no longer need this. Camera makers have preserved this shape simply sotheir digital cameras will look familiar to us

Still this looks good. The new Lieca M8.2 looks good too and is about the same size and has likely beter IQ but at 10X the price. I could see myself buying one of these after Oly fills out the line with more bodies and lenses.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
...My ideal "micro 4/3" camera would look a lot more like a rear lens cap, just this little gadget you screw on the end of your lens. Ok it has to have space for some controls, but make it shaped to fit the hands, not a box...Camera makers have preserved this shape simply sotheir digital cameras will look familiar to us

People tend not to like cameras that look nothing like cameras. Those early, swiveling Agfa and Casio cameras are a case in point. Didn't do so well. I think there were some other brands that suffered from the same problem in the early days of digital photography. I'll be surprised if we see any radical camera designs anytime soon.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I love it. I'm not sure if I dig the textured leather (almost wood grainey?) stripe but overall this is what I've always wanted - a digital rangefinder, a small body (canon a1, nikon fe) that takes multiple lenses.

I'll almost certainly be purchasing one.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
That is a VERY cool camera! My jaw dropped when I saw it... compact, changeable lenses, good looks! If the price is right... i can see it being a great compact camera for when I don't want to lug around my D50 + lenses.

The best part is it matches my Polaroid SX-70! :D

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
It looks good
The first thing I noticed about the silly G1 was th fake pentaprism. If there is no optical viewfinder why the pointy looking thing on top?. I'm sure it's only purpose is so the camera will look like an SLR.

Indeed this mock-up camera looks good. As for the G1, Panasonic said that according to their study in Japan people want the look and feel of and DSLR however with a smaller size...that is why they can up with the G serie.

Without a doubt this new Olympus micro4/3rd would be a killer when it come out.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house

What pointy looking thing on top? You mean the pointy thing that looks like a flash mount? I think the purpose of that thing on top is to mount the flash. ;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So far I haven't been impressed by the offerings, all seem to be of a near-DSLR size, and nowhere near pocketable.

What other offerings? There's one, and it hasn't even been released yet.

If there were 50 models out there, and none of them impressed you, then that would be a concern. m4/3rds hasn't had time to disappoint. There's one model announced so far.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
What pointy looking thing on top? You mean the pointy thing that looks like a flash mount? I think the purpose of that thing on top is to mount the flash. ;)

No, the thing under the flash mount. The part that protrudes a la an SLR (or an ultrazoom, even). That's really unnecessary on the G, but I guess it does a good job of giving the G1 a mini-SLR look. Although I think a rangefinder look would've been cooler.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
What other offerings? There's one, and it hasn't even been released yet.

If there were 50 models out there, and none of them impressed you, then that would be a concern. m4/3rds hasn't had time to disappoint. There's one model announced so far.

But I can be unimpressed by the implementation of the announced model can't I??

To see a DSLR styled micro 4/3rds be released was the opposite direction I thought the idea would go in...

I totally agree. The Olympus prototype finally gets to the point where IMO this whole m4/3 idea needs to go.

Here's the DPreview news item, to supplement what Piarco posted.

Agreed, and thanks for the extra info and pics - nice to see a good shot of the rear. Not as attractive as up front, but there is time yet...

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
The only issue with the Oly is it's a prototype. It took Sigma more than a year between announcement and delivery of the DP1. Granted, Oly might be quicker, but I still don't think it's coming out by year's end, and maybe not till next summer or so.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
That's very cool. Though I'd much rather see them do a digital version of the original OM-1, which is without a doubt the coolest looking camera ever designed. :cool:
Of course it should have interchangeable support for the original Zuiko lenses. I'd pay a small fortune for that. :D

Attachments

• Olympus-OM-1.jpg
    Olympus-OM-1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 155

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
Interesting opinions from different sites...

Well, it is interesting hearing comments from here about the new Oly mock and from those in Dpreview.

Here it seems people appreciate the retro-styling and compact-form. On Dpreview, there are many seasoned-4/3-users who are deeply disappointed it does not have an EVF and are (amusingly for me) throwing their toys out of their prams! Oh, the drama!

I think with readers here being mac users, there is an appreciation of style and aesthetics, while on Dpreview they tend to be more tech-heads and couldn’t care less about the colour and metallic finish!

Anyway, I did some photoshop work on seeing how this mock would look in different colours. The tan just doesn’t do it for me.

Attachments

• mft(black).jpg
    mft(black).jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 166
  • mft(brown).jpg
    mft(brown).jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 123
  • mft(green).jpg
    mft(green).jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 118
  • mft(blue).jpg
    mft(blue).jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 118
  • mft(grey).jpg
    mft(grey).jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 117

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
I like this view...

This is my fave view. Notice the blue banding on the lens just like on their Zuiko lenses -- to me a sign of glass that rocks! :cool:

Attachments

• 20940.jpg
    20940.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 140

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Anyway, I did some photoshop work on seeing how this mock would look in different colours. The tan just doesn’t do it for me.

I don't mind the tan that much, but you just got me sold on the dark brown or black... mmmmmmmmmmmm baby they look sweet! If the spec is up to the same standard as the looks I'll be a happy camper!

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Well, it is interesting hearing comments from here about the new Oly mock and from those in Dpreview.

Here it seems people appreciate the retro-styling and compact-form. On Dpreview, there are many seasoned-4/3-users who are deeply disappointed it does not have an EVF and are (amusingly for me) throwing their toys out of their prams! Oh, the drama!

I think with readers here being mac users, there is an appreciation of style and aesthetics, while on Dpreview they tend to be more tech-heads and couldn’t care less about the colour and metallic finish!

You must be the same Tony-in-Japan! I did ask you on DPreview but you didn't answer back.

Anyway, I like this concept and I think you're right, there is too much whining over on dp, its silly. Anyway I can't tell from the pics how big these cameras are but like I said before I would like to replace my Contax G2 (the body of the G2 is bigger than the E420!) with one of these. I just hope the lens selection is full of lovely little primes.

I was thinking (because they were moaning over at dp) that they will release a consumer version and then a bigger version with more features for the pro? Who knows.

tinfai

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
I'm selling my Contax G2 in order to bag myself one of these later in the year, I'm too impatient to work with film now and would love one of these.

The G2 is a great camera and part of a very unique and useful system. Think carefully before ridding yourself of this beauty. It's never fun to re-purchase a camera which you thought you could live without.

tinfai

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008

I like your first rendition, with the black trim. It reminds me of one of my favorite small film cameras of all times -- the Leica Minilux. I've been pining for a digital version of the Minilux or CL for so long. The Olympus mock-up has great aesthetics compared to the Panny G1. Olympus might finally have the answer. *fingers crossed*

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
Apologies...

You must be the same Tony-in-Japan! I did ask you on DPreview but you didn't answer back.

Sorry CrackedButter for not answering you on DP. I did not read that post.

What is your name on DP? Must be different to CrackedButter. :confused:

Anyway, ‘Oh it’s a small (internet) world, isn’t it!!’ :D

Anyway I can't tell from the pics how big these cameras are but like I said before I would like to replace my Contax G2 (the body of the G2 is bigger than the E420!) with one of these. I just hope the lens selection is full of lovely little primes.

I saw the size specs somewhere... anyway, it IS small! Much smaller than the Sigma DP1 I heard. But the size of this mock is, in my opinion, designed for primes and small lenses. It is obvious Pana’s G1, with hand grip, is more suited to zooms and superzooms. Good product distinction that is necessary for them to attract difference market audiences.

I was thinking (because they were moaning over at dp) that they will release a consumer version and then a bigger version with more features for the pro? Who knows.

I think it is inevitable for them to go for a higher-spec version that can attract the pro-user looking for a compact back-up. Olympus would be crazy not to go for this market! Then they could attract Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony FF DSLR users to come aboard (without making them betray their brand faithfulness) and discover the world of Zuikos.

But first things first, it is natural for them to aim their first m4/3 at the non-pro consumer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.