Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Just wondering if I could get a review from someone who bought the new STYLUS TOUGH-8010. It looks perfect for my needs and just wanted some feedback on if it meets the "hype".

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
I don't have the newer model, but I do own an older version, the 770 SW (before the line was rebranded with the Tough name). Reviews of subsequent models seem to indicate that the problems of the series - slow operation and poor image quality - haven't been addressed over the years. In your other post, I provided a link to Digital Photography Review's Waterproof Camera Group Test. I don't know if you clicked it, but if you did, you would have seen that the Olympus (along with the offering from Fujifilm) was at the bottom of their list.

You could do much better than the Tough series, and there are many options to do so, particularly if you're not looking to take it very deep underwater (e.g. the Panasonic TS1). I've taken mine everywhere (from diving to snowboarding), and it's definitely a tough little camera, but I've never been very satisfied with the photos that came out of it. You'd probably be reasonably happy with one, but if I had to buy a similar camera again, it probably wouldn't be an Olympus.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
This new Pentax looks like an interesting alternative:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022411pentaxoptiow90.asp

Optio_W90_(Black_&_Pistachio_Green)_front_with_LED_reflects_II.jpg

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
I don't have the newer model, but I do own an older version, the 770 SW (before the line was rebranded with the Tough name). Reviews of subsequent models seem to indicate that the problems of the series - slow operation and poor image quality - haven't been addressed over the years. In your other post, I provided a link to Digital Photography Review's Waterproof Camera Group Test. I don't know if you clicked it, but if you did, you would have seen that the Olympus (along with the offering from Fujifilm) was at the bottom of their list.

You could do much better than the Tough series, and there are many options to do so, particularly if you're not looking to take it very deep underwater (e.g. the Panasonic TS1). I've taken mine everywhere (from diving to snowboarding), and it's definitely a tough little camera, but I've never been very satisfied with the photos that came out of it. You'd probably be reasonably happy with one, but if I had to buy a similar camera again, it probably wouldn't be an Olympus.

Thank you, I finally caught up with my posts (I have a lot of fun decisions to make this year). Too bad about the picture quality, it looked like a good choice. Still looking......:D

groundzero

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
Olympus 8010

I own one. Improperly applied anecdotal evidence to the contrary, its a great little machine. It does what its made to do superbly well. There aren't any comparisons with the 8010, which is a significant improvement over the 8000. Photos are clear, sharp and colorful. The 720 recording works fantastically well for a point and click and the tap and in camera panorama modes are a lot of fun. Of course, its not an SLR and people have a tendency to wonder why the photos don't compare. I'm very happy with it and dont worry about beating it up at all. I examined every other option out there and for my purposes and money the 8010 was the best choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.