Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Hi,

I'm currently using a Sony DSC-W200 point and shoot. It works well, however it does not have manual focus. Today I was toying around with my mother's Olympus OM-1 35mm SLR, and it had an Olympus F.Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 lens attached to it (which of course is a manual focus lens).

Can this lens be fitted to a modern camera? I love the focus and vignetting effects caused by these lens.

I'm considering purchasing either a Nikon D40 or an Olympus EP-1; is this lens compatible with either model?

Here's a photograph of the OM-1 along with the 50mm f/1.8 lens:

3812758974_d95ee7ed41.jpg

3811992969_7cdf10b572.jpg

Thanks.

oxfan

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2008
According to dpreview.com Olympus are producing an adaptor to mount OM lenses on the E-P1 so you would be able to use the 50mm manual focus with stop-down metering, it would be the equivalent of about 90mm on a 35mm camera. You wouldn't be able to mount it on a D40.

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Great, thanks a lot.

Are there any reasons to go with an EP-1 over a Nikon D40 aside from aesthetic/size differences between the two?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Can this lens be fitted to a modern camera? I love the focus and vignetting effects caused by these lens.

Depth of field won't be the same on 4/3rds or APS-C, and you probably won't come close to vignetting on either sensor format, especially the small 4/3rds one. If you eventually want the same effects out of a FF 35mm digital body, your best bet is likely to be to go with Canon. There are EF adapters available. If you have the cash, you'd get equivalent effects out of an EOS 5D mk. I, otherwise, I'd get the adapter and go with a Digital Rebel if I wanted to use it, at least you'll be closer to FF size..

You'll want something like this:

http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/olympus_canon-eos-pro_adapter.htm

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.