Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkyndt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Shanghai
Hi,

I travel regularly with my Canon dSLR & MBP but do most of my post-shot editing & processing when I'm back at home with my 27" iMac.

I use the MBP as "temporary" area for photo selection, keywording, geo-positioning & "faces" in Aperture 3 when travelling, but I have not found the most optimal workflow for importing all the new photos & contents (keywords, etc...) into my main library.

Can anyone suggest what could be done?
Cheers

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Hi,

I travel regularly with my Canon dSLR & MBP but do most of my post-shot editing & processing when I'm back at home with my 27" iMac.

I use the MBP as "temporary" area for photo selection, keywording, geo-positioning & "faces" in Aperture 3 when travelling, but I have not found the most optimal workflow for importing all the new photos & contents (keywords, etc...) into my main library.

Cheers

I have not been doing this myself yet... but Robert Boyer covers this extensively in his ebooks. I find his explanations incredible. I believe the basic idea is to use referenced images, and move them back and forth between libraries by importing/exporting entire projects. Read his work to be sure.

http://photo.rwboyer.com/

/Jim

Vel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
Hi,

Cheers
I do something very similar but the method I use is as follows:
I purchased a WD HDD which supports both USB2 and FW800 (I have an original Unibody MB without FW)
I store my library on the HDD and then I just connect the drive to my MB when travelling and to my iMac when at home.
I have heard people in the past say that Aperture doesn't really like external drives, but if I've never had any issues with this setup,

Vel

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I've used a similar setup on the road in Australia for a year:
MacBook Pro with Aperture (2) with the library on a RAID 1 array via FW800 on two hard drives installed in Macsales' cases.

It worked flawlessly, save for the battery life! MacBook Pro + Aperture + 2xHard drives + Card reader = very short autonomy!
Get a car inverter, and you'll be all set.

Hutch98R1

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
I do something very similar but the method I use is as follows:
I purchased a WD HDD which supports both USB2 and FW800 (I have an original Unibody MB without FW)
I store my library on the HDD and then I just connect the drive to my MB when travelling and to my iMac when at home.
I have heard people in the past say that Aperture doesn't really like external drives, but if I've never had any issues with this setup,

Vel

I do the same! I keep my Library on a portable external(USB powered), so whatever computer I use, it is looking at the same library. I also keep a vault at home on a normal external drive.

No problems here with using an external to house my library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.