Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainemini

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
Maine
Having been frustrated with Dragon Naturally Speaking on Win10 using via VMWare on my Intel Macs, I'm curious if onboard dictation with M1s on Monterey would be more efficient for work.

Is it fairly accurate? Can you upload custom dictionaries?

mainemini

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
Maine
Needed another macbook so got an M1 model and installed the Monterey public beta to try onboard dication.

While the ARM chips may allow longer dictation, dictation on the Mac is still not a viable option at this point. Neither keyboard dictation nor Voice Control offers a usable experience for even light work via dictation.

se1961

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
I would love to hear from others on this experience-- I work with M1 Macs and have a 2018 iPad Pro. Have not used dictation in the past, but it was my understanding that with Monterey (and iOS 15) one could do unlimited dictation. I'm using AirPods, which gives me reasonably good accuracy, but I have found that it times out after about thirty seconds-- seems like a bug, because the dictation mike is still visible on the M1, and the dictation keyboard is still open on the iPad, but the computer just stops processing dictation all together. Also, it doesn't respond to other dictation commands like "new line" or "new paragraph".... Is there some setting that I am missing? It's described by Apple as a "feature" of Monterey, but I am finding almost no documentation or user experience. Parallels and Dragon isn't an option for me... ☹️

Reactions: mainemini
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.