Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohmic12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2018
Hello

New here so dont know if this is the right forum to post in.
So my question is this after having not much luck searching for answers:

Say i buy a faulty macbook pro off someone, like say it turns on but the screen remains blank, so I manage to fix the fault and get the screen working again but now what?

My understanding is that the pro will still be attached to the previous owner apple id, so does that mean I wont be to use it now?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The previous user should have removed it from their iCloud account using the Find My iPhone app on an iOS device, or the iCloud.com web site. They can still do that, as long as you’re in touch with them. Once you get the Mac working, I assume you’ll then erase the Mac and reinstall the OS, so that you can setup as a new Mac. That deals with any other issues with logins, etc.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Can't see any problem, I bought my iMac second-hand back in 2012, the previous owner had paid for 3 year extended warranty too, it all came over to me.

ohmic12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2018
The previous user should have removed it from their iCloud account using the Find My iPhone app on an iOS device, or the iCloud.com web site. They can still do that, as long as you’re in touch with them. Once you get the Mac working, I assume you’ll then erase the Mac and reinstall the OS, so that you can setup as a new Mac. That deals with any other issues with logins, etc.

Sweet thank you for the reply, i didnt realize that the previous owner could go to icloud.com to remove their apple id, for some reason I thought the only way they could do it was for them to have physical access to the device again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.