Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eszterkovac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2016
OKay, so this might sound really stupid, but I was watching a movie on my MacBook in the dark and I have a cold. So I bought one of those nose sprays to air out my nose.. Point is when in the dark I was putting back the spray on the table next to me, one very small drop (more like a bubble because of the air in the spray) fell off the bottle's top and right onto my "enter" key. I tried to dab it but a little portion, like 1/4 of that bubble/drop went inside the keyboard. It was very small. Anyways, I turned my computer off for 8h, to prevent any damages, now I turned it back on and everything works fine. Should I still be worried?

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Nope. Ill tell you a story. Years ago I was working a video shoot with my buddy. We were at the beach videotaping swimsuit models, so to say the least we were a bit distracted. Well long story short, a wave came up and took out the video deck we were using and had set on the ground. It died a short time later. We took it to a repair facility. They told us we should have washed it off with fresh water, we might have saved it. Salt water corrodes electronics really fast. Who would have guessed washing off an electronic device was the thing to do.

You did the right thing. Tuned it off let it sit until it dried out. The whole reason they tell you to do that is so you don't short anything out. You should be fine. I doubt nose spray is corrosive. But who nose.... get it?

eszterkovac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2016
Nope. Ill tell you a story. Years ago I was working a video shoot with my buddy. We were at the beach videotaping swimsuit models, so to say the least we were a bit distracted. Well long story short, a wave came up and took out the video deck we were using and had set on the ground. It died a short time later. We took it to a repair facility. They told us we should have washed it off with fresh water, we might have saved it. Salt water corrodes electronics really fast. Who would have guessed washing off an electronic device was the thing to do.

You did the right thing. Tuned it off let it sit until it dried out. The whole reason they tell you to do that is so you don't short anything out. You should be fine. I doubt nose spray is corrosive. But who nose.... get it?

Thanks :) well good thing I wasnt near salt water. I hope it will be fine since the liquid amount was so small

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK

Water (drinking water) is pretty much innocuous as it doesn't leave any residues while coke, orange juice, coffee, tea leaves tons of it. If you find any residues, wash it out with water, let it try and hopefully it will be fine.

Macgyver1

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
Glad it worked out, that's nothing to sneeze at. Never heard of nose drops for a Mac, they usually don't get viruses.

You made all the right moves, powering down and cleaning out. One other step for major spills would be to invert keyboard and vacuume out excess.

Keep watch on your Mac for sneezing, coughing, and don't forget to take its temperature.

Reactions: bopajuice

0x100

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2014
Japan
Glad it worked out, that's nothing to sneeze at. Never heard of nose drops for a Mac, they usually don't get viruses.

You made all the right moves, powering down and cleaning out. One other step for major spills would be to invert keyboard and vacuume out excess.

Keep watch on your Mac for sneezing, coughing, and don't forget to take its temperature.
for the love of god don't vacuum a computer. If anything, that kills it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.