Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
In case you’re wondering (doubtful, but who knows…) I disagree.

I’m a disagreeable fellow. It happens. On to brass tacks…

I finally went and played with the new iPad Pros. 11” and 13”, matte and glossy, hand held and with Magic Keyboard. And for me they are in a different league than my M2 12.9” iPP (and my occasionally used M1 11” iPP). Who asked for thinner and lighter? I did, UNEQUIVOCALLY. And these already deliver more than I could have hoped for (I’ll still want less weight and fewer mm in future generations). Who loves matte screens? This guy… and even on the iPad. Who benefits from OLED and the new ProMotion? My eyeballs - the glossy screen is superior for text scrolling but even the matte screen is superior to my miniLED iPP.

What’s relevant here? That my present iPad is already the device I use for 80% of my computing day and thus elements that don’t matter for more casual use matter a lot when working about 6 hours a day on it. I was a professional photographer and things most people don’t even notice aggravate the Dickens out of me.

I also noticed that the pencil does feel different on the matte surface than the shiny. That function keys on the keyboard matter. And that WWDC will indeed determine whether I trade in my M2…

leifp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
FIRST! No, wait…

I guess I’ll treat this like a note to myself. :cool:

Having returned and played more, and having caught up on some additional concerns raised by MR commenters, I’ve returned to earth a bit. I will wait out this first generation of OLED, a keyboard case that may damage the screen (I will not add a screen protector on devices larger than a smartphone), and my own switch to using the iPad as a daily driver beyond my present use.

If my Magic Keyboard case bites it along the way, I’ll revisit my decision… the case is already damaged (the inside hinge that tilts the iPad has worn through the rubber in places and exposed metal bits already) and $450+taxes that is fraying after less than 1.5 years, well…

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I traded my 12.9 M2 for the M4 13” and have no regrets. Well I did have one regret. I returned the new Magic Keyboard as I will not ever use it. It is greatly improved but cost too much for sitting in a drawer.

Reactions: leifp

vine-boating

macrumors 68010
Aug 10, 2017
I traded my 12.9 M2 for the M4 13” and have no regrets. Well I did have one regret. I returned the new Magic Keyboard as I will not ever use it. It is greatly improved but cost too much for sitting in a drawer.
So you just use the iPad with the pencil? What case are you using if I may ask?

nappes

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
@nappes

Why does the below statement make you angry?

"If they'd ever make a way to run macOS on these (even just virtualized) I'd be a buyer pretty quick"
Mostly cause I was having a grumpy day

but secondly, because it seems hard to have threads discussing iPad limitations and benefits without this becoming the dominant topic. I feel it’s been done to death. I myself would love a dual boot iPad or some variant of this.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Eyeroll. This bit of FUD has a life of its own already.
That was my initial reaction. So I checked myself, and it’s true that the front of the case closes flush with the screen. As it’s brutally expensive for what it is, and my present case has begun to fail cosmetically (revealing connections that may fail next) after less than a year and a half, I’m erring on the side of caution. (I’ve included a pic of one of the wear points)

That said, I’ve had no difficulty whatsoever with opening the M4 case, which seems to be a frustration point for some…

IMG_1057.jpeg

leifp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Which one will I get if I lose all impulse control? Why thank you for asking!

11”, 1TB, matte screen, cellular, with both keyboard and pencil.

Was playing away last night on my miniLED iPad and it was blooming annoying… and since I seem to second guess myself at all times, a switch from 12.9” to 11” is consistent with my character…

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
That was my initial reaction. So I checked myself, and it’s true that the front of the case closes flush with the screen. As it’s brutally expensive for what it is, and my present case has begun to fail cosmetically (revealing connections that may fail next) after less than a year and a half, I’m erring on the side of caution. (I’ve included a pic of one of the wear points)

That said, I’ve had no difficulty whatsoever with opening the M4 case, which seems to be a frustration point for some…

View attachment 2383530

Ouch. That sure didn’t age well, but it’s also kinda consistent with my experiences involving the Smart Keyboard for my 2018 iPad, which was coming apart at the seams roughly a year in.

Here’s hoping my new Magic Keyboard is a lot more durable.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Ouch. That sure didn’t age well, but it’s also kinda consistent with my experiences involving the Smart Keyboard for my 2018 iPad, which was coming apart at the seams roughly a year in.

I would definitely be interested in hearing how it ages. As I’m unlikely to purchase a new iPad before November, I imagine serious issues will have been incorporated into redesigns… or it’s all just piss and vinegar.

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
Alway the Smart Folio. It protects the back on the iPad when setting it down and front when closed. I have used the folio on all of my iPads.
I’ve actually taken to using a Magic Trackpad with my 12.9” in Smart Folio when sitting at a table or desk. Takes advantage of multitouch gestures, allows for different positioning of the iPad, and minimizes fingerprints on the screen. For the small amount that I type with this setup the software keyboard is fine.

TheWraith

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2024
That was my initial reaction. So I checked myself, and it’s true that the front of the case closes flush with the screen.

It does not—there’s a rubber gasket around the keyboard. Either way I have AppleCare, which covers the iPad and the MK, and if either gets ****ed up I’ll harass them til it is fixed. But I doubt they made this error.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I’ve actually taken to using a Magic Trackpad with my 12.9” in Smart Folio when sitting at a table or desk. Takes advantage of multitouch gestures, allows for different positioning of the iPad, and minimizes fingerprints on the screen. For the small amount that I type with this setup the software keyboard is fine.

‘I seldom use my iPad at a table or desk. 99.9% in hand or lap.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

Not sure if the original photo was a Magic keyboard or a Smart Keyboard Folio, but here’s my Smart Keyboard Folio for my 11” iPad Pro 2018. It’s old, but in fantastic condition!

Outside isn’t, though. Looks like old leather.

I love this keyboard so much, I’d actually choose the iPad Air M2 because the Pro isn’t compatible. I never take this cover off, even in tablet mode. It’s amazing.

IMG_0116.jpeg

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Not sure if the original photo was a Magic keyboard or a Smart Keyboard Folio, but here’s my Smart Keyboard Folio for my 11” iPad Pro 2018. It’s old, but in fantastic condition!

I love this keyboard so much, I’d actually choose the iPad Air M2 because the Pro isn’t compatible. I never take this cover off, even in tablet mode. It’s amazing.

View attachment 2384289

That’s impressive.

Here’s an old photo of what my first Smart Keyboard looked like maybe about 1.5 years in?
3955f9d68cc5dfffd716dbe4183b5a4b.jpg

I bought a new one but the problem came back. Perhaps it’s the way I handle it, but I decided it wasn’t worth replacing every year, handy as it was.

• Sad

leifp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
It does not—there’s a rubber gasket around the keyboard. Either way I have AppleCare, which covers the iPad and the MK, and if either gets ****ed up I’ll harass them til it is fixed. But I doubt they made this error.
It does. The gasket around the keyboard is towards the middle. At the front edge of the case, it’s metal on screen. It’s very clearly seen.

edit: I do wonder if there’s manufacturing variance playing into this. I could definitely see that existing as the margin for contact or its absence is so small…

Last edited:

leifp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Canada

View attachment 2384289
Mine is the Magic Keyboard and the failure point is exactly where it would be expected: the hinge that tilts the screen.

I miss the Folio Keyboard; I’d prefer the lighter weight since I never use the trackpad anyhow…

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
It does. The gasket around the keyboard is towards the middle. At the front edge of the case, it’s metal on screen. It’s very clearly seen.

edit: I do wonder if there’s manufacturing variance playing into this. I could definitely see that existing as the margin for contact or its absence is so small…
This post on another thread seems to show the edge of the trackpad marking the screen. There’s a curve resembling its perimeter and everything.

• Sad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.