Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brum_rich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2022
I am having issues connecting my OneDrive account. When I enter my login & password it asks me to select a folder location. I have tried multiple different locations but each time I get a message saying "We cannot sync your "OneDrive xxx " folder. Please try again.

I use my Mac for both personal & work purposes under separate logins and it's the OneDrive app on my work login that I'm trying to sync up with my work OneDrive account.

The strange thing here is that I've loaded all the key O365 apps (excel, powerpoint, word) and I can access my work OneDrive folder/files via those apps (by using file/open) so this is just an issue with the OneDrive app itself, rather than connectivity to my work account.

I can only assume it's how I'm selecting the location, but any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
@brum_rich it seems like it might be related to permissions. Here are a few ideas for you to try in this MS support article. Additionally, here are a couple things your administrator can try:

From this thread:
"In addition, please contact your Office 365 global admin, and check with them if they have disabled sync on mac OS. For this, ask them to go to Office 365 Admin center>Admin Center>OneDrive>Sync. Check whether the option Allow syncing only on PCs joined to specific domains is checked. If so, check if option Block sync on Mac OS is selected."

And this thread:
"If the problem only affects your work account, you can ask your colleagues to see if they have the same problem, and contact your IT admins go to OneDrive admin center to check whether they have blocked your device: Allow syncing only on computers joined to specific domains"

brum_rich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2022
Thanks for your response @tensixturtle but unfortunately that hasn't resolved my issue.

The strange thing here is when I click on my profile in any of the MS Office apps I can see my work OneDrive account under 'connected services' and I can open & save files in these apps so there are no restrictions between to Mac & OneDrive accounts.

So it's just connecting the OneDrive app so I can open files/folders directly from here rather than via the MS apps.

When I launch OneDrive on my Mac it accepts my username then asks me to select a OneDrive folder location to enable me to access folders from other devices and have them on my Mac (and then when I select a location I get the message 'cannot sync...')

However I don't think I want to create a folder though, I just want the OneDrive app to launch into my work account so I can see the folders/files (in the same way it does on my iPhone & iPad).

If anyone has any other ideas it would be appreciated, thanks! :mad:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have a onedrive account, but I don't use any Mac-based dedicated app to access it.
Instead, when I need to access my onedrive folders/files, I log in using a web browser.
Doing it that way works well enough for me (I don't need to access it all that often)...

rogercorke

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
I am having issues connecting my OneDrive account. When I enter my login & password it asks me to select a folder location. I have tried multiple different locations but each time I get a message saying "We cannot sync your "OneDrive xxx " folder. Please try again.

I use my Mac for both personal & work purposes under separate logins and it's the OneDrive app on my work login that I'm trying to sync up with my work OneDrive account.

The strange thing here is that I've loaded all the key O365 apps (excel, powerpoint, word) and I can access my work OneDrive folder/files via those apps (by using file/open) so this is just an issue with the OneDrive app itself, rather than connectivity to my work account.

I can only assume it's how I'm selecting the location, but any thoughts welcome.

Thanks
Sorry for jumping onto your question, brum_rich but I can't see how I can post a threat about Onedrive on this forum. I have a problem withOneDrive on my Mac: I have the Onedrive icon in my dock. If I want to access a file or folder, I click on the icon, the list of files and folders appear above the icon and I can go up and open one of them. But sometimes, the whole screen freezes, the "beachball of death" continues to spin round and the OneDrive icon in the dock is greyed out. Someone suggested launching Terminal in Utilities and pasting in the following command: defaults write com.apple.Dock showhidden -bool NO I did that but the problem is still havppening. All I can do is to switch off my machine and start again. Anyone got a solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.