Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
I've got this round-and-round situation going on. So, basically, this falls into the category of switching OneDrive accounts. That's it. But, the problem is I cannot completely remove the old account. I'm effectively signed out of OneDrive - but what happens is that when I click on the OneDrive icon - a screen comes up requesting an email and password. The problem is I CAN'T change the email. The old email from the old account is unremovable - and already filled into the email field. I can see the old email, but I can't change the old email to the new email.

The email can't be removed by conventional methods (mouse/keyboard). So, next I uninstalled and reinstalled the OneDrive app (downloadable through the Apple App Store). In between uninstalls/reinstalls I'd also delete anything relevant in the keychain - and also in the Library directory (stuff such as /Users/<username>/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.OneDrive-mac). Nothing ever worked.

At one point I caved in and called Microsoft - but they could only offer what I had already tried multiple times. Microsoft eventually blamed macOS as the root cause of the problem - recommending calling Apple (which I haven't done yet). But, to be honest, I feel that the Microsoft support person just wasn't experienced enough to really troubleshoot this issue. Neither am I - which is why I'm here posting.

I'm out of ideas of what else to do.

I've got a MacBook running macOS High Sierra.

Hope someone can help me.

-ML

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Have you tried fully uninstalling all of MS Office and onedrive, including all of the cruft in the ~/Library and /Library locations?

It definitely sounds like some stuff being left over.

Also when you say logging into OneDrive, through the OS or on the web? What happens when you sign into OneDrive.com from Safari and also Chrome (try both)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with maflynn above.
Forget the "onedrive" app for now.

Instead, log into onedrive using a web browser.
Does that work any better?

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
@maflynn - The only Microsoft software that I am aware of is 1) Windows Remote Desktop and 2) One Drive. I don't have Microsoft Word (or similar office products) installed on this machine - my MacBook.

I'm signing into the the OneDrive software installed onto my MacBook. This software can be downloaded through the Apple App Store.

I deleted anything with the word "microsoft" in the ~/Library folder with the exception of ~/Library/Parallels/ - but this, it is assumed, is only used by my virtual machines. I did not think to check the /Library folder and therefore have not changed or deleted anything in the /Library folder. A quick search for "*microsoft*" in the /Library folder reveals:

./Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Office
./Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter/Contents/Resources/Microsoft Office.rsrc
./Fonts/Microsoft Sans Serif.ttf

-ML
[automerge]1576858142[/automerge]
@Fishrrman - This is what I'm doing now - accessing OneDrive online - through Safari. But, if possible I'd like to restore my previous workflow using the OneDrive app.

Last edited:

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
I fixed it. The short answer is this: delete previous directories associated with the previous OneDrive account.

Here is a little more detail:
I deleted the previous directory associated with the previous account, uninstalled all traces of Microsoft/OneDrive (in keychain and ~/Library), deleted the OneDrive app from the /Applications folder. After all that - I proceeded to visit the Purchased section of the Apple App Store - and installed OneDrive. From that point forward I was asked for my credentials including my email (this was the issue previously - I never was allowed to use a different email thereby preventing login).

Now, I don't really know how necessary it is to go into your keychain and /Applications folder and haphazardly delete anything and everything with the phrase "onedrive" or "microsoft" - but that's what I did.

Removing the directory used by the previous OneDrive account seems absolutely necessary to change to a different OneDrive account.

-ML

Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.