Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Hi,

I've searched all over these forums, and all over the web, and am having trouble finding a photo sharing / storage service that will accept the .avi files that come out of my camera. Smugmug will, provided you upload to their pro service, and even then they only accept .mov files, and with pretty severe size restrictions (16 Mb or less, I think). I don't think flickr will take movies at all.

I can understand why these services might shy away from storing movies, but that's more than half the reason I want to enroll in this kind of service -- to share the movies with friends that I took of different events. I'd really like to have them all in one place, with the same interface.

I realize that the new .mac does this, and with a pretty slick interface, but given that my iPhoto library is already > 10 Gb, I feel like I'd probably exceed the limits in no time.

Any recommendations for such a service, or am I overlooking something obvious in the smugmug/flickr interface?

Thanks in advance.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Phanfare

You need Phanfare

They cost $54.95/yr for unlimited and have a 2GB/10min limit of video. They're the slickest photo backup/sharing service when it comes to video/photo and slideshow. I can take video straight from my digital point and shoot, dump into their Mac client and it will be uploaded to the website fast!

I have a Smugmug Pro, Flickr, Fotki, Zenfolio and Phanfare account but Phanfare is my favorite for ease of sharing video.

Check it out: http://www.phanfare.com/page/pricing.html

If you want to try out their 30 day free trial, PM me and I'll send you a referal link with a discount if you continue as a member past the 30 days.

pna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
You need Phanfare

They cost $54.95/yr for unlimited and have a 2GB/10min limit of video. They're the slickest photo backup/sharing service when it comes to video/photo and slideshow. I can take video straight from my digital point and shoot, dump into their Mac client and it will be uploaded to the website fast!

I have a Smugmug Pro, Flickr, Fotki, Zenfolio and Phanfare account but Phanfare is my favorite for ease of sharing video.

Check it out: http://www.phanfare.com/page/pricing.html

Interesting -- I'd completely missed phanfare in my searching, somehow. Their terms and upload specs do look like what I'm looking for. I tested out their public web album on my mac, though, and the slideshow feature didn't work properly (sound but no images), and neither of the videos I tried clicking on ever actually loaded, the indicator just spun and spun. I'm on a very fast broadband connection, so I wouldn't anticipate that it was a connection issue.

I'm assuming that you have no problems with your albums, or you wouldn't have recommended it, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Do you, in general, just use phanfare for sharing videos, but the other photo sharing services for photo albums?

Thanks for the tip -- it may be what I'm looking for, and I hadn't seen it.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Phanfare Review

There could be a problem with Phanfare servers or that album at the time you tested? No problems with my Phanfare albums. Works like a charm. I use them to share my photos and videos to family/friends - storytelling is much nicer when you can stream photo and video elegantly. I don't like putting personal pics on public sites.

They're the slickest service I've used, people can view your photos (combined with video) on the web or download the slideshow and playback later. Have full control over permissions. No other online service (other than maybe the new .Mac) has the same features for integrating photos and video. I use my Canon SD800IS point and shoot to capture photos and video, come home, drag and drop onto Phanfare client and instantly build my website album.

I use Smugmug to sell as they have the best Ecommerce implementation - can sell prints or digital downloads. Zenfolio is my up and coming Smugmug killer since they're Web 2.0, gorgeous photo display, but not enough Pro features at the moment. Flickr and Fotki are for the community aspect but photo viewing experience isn't very good.

If you want the best photo and video sharing experience I highly recommend Phanfare, and they have great Mac support. The CEO, Andrew, is very open and posts on forum all the time. You get what you pay for, I'm wary of the free and too cheap services. Best part is they have 30 days free trial, best way to find out if it suits you. Like I said, if you're interested, PM me your email and I'll send you discount invite that only applies if after 30days you want to continue.

pna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
If you want the best photo and video sharing experience I highly recommend Phanfare, and they have great Mac support. The CEO, Andrew, is very open and posts on forum all the time. You get what you pay for, I'm wary of the free and too cheap services. Best part is they have 30 days free trial, best way to find out if it suits you. Like I said, if you're interested, PM me your email and I'll send you discount invite that only applies if after 30days you want to continue.

I've been trying out phanfare alongside the free trial of .mac . They've both got their strengths -- the new .mac has a fantastically slick presentation. What I'm embarrassed a bit about is that I don't quite understand exactly how you're intended to manipulate the galleries. I think what I was expecting is that there would be a single, sort of master interface to your web galleries as well as the movies you're published. For example, from within the new iMovie (which, for all of the hubbub about the leaving out of features, is *phenomenal* for creating short movies easily), I can easily publish a movie to my .mac test trial. To unpublish it, though, I have no idea what to do, short of going to my online web disk and deleting it. For the web galleries of photos, it's much more obvious that you just edit them from within iPhoto. I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing.

Having the single interface for everything is definitely where the phanfare program shines -- it seems like whatever you do within that interface is just synced up pretty much automatically. Quite nice. The storage of the full size videos and images is also quite nice, and for the most part the encoding to flash of the videos looks ok. It caused a lot of artifacting early on in the movie I uploaded, but after a few seconds it smoothes out.

I agree -- phanfare may be the best solution for me. If .mac didn't have the 10 GB limit, it would be be much more competitive. I'll send the PM.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
I was hesitant at first to use the Phanfare Mac client as I was used to so many other sites using uploaders or just web interface. The biggest strength in the client software is that it builds your website in minutes compared to the time it takes to upload 100+ 5-10MB JPG files that come out of my Canon 12MP 5D. After the web version is done, it uploads the original files and gets backed up on Amazon's S3 servers.

If .mac had unlimited photo storage like Phanfare I'd give them a try too.

alissah

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
hi there

I think you should try SpiderOak is a secure, automated free online photo sharing and free computer backup online. SpiderOak can store all types of videos, music, photos and other documents.
here is a link: https://spideroak.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.