Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devincco

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Hey all

A couple of weeks ago I read an article talking about "Is your data really backed up". It described how many of us have a spare HDD for backups, but what if your house burned down, flooded, etc. The author recommended using online storage. So for the past couple of weeks, I have been looking into online storage for a "off-site" backup of my photos, documents, etc. I found one site http://www.adrive.com that offers 50GB free. I've e-mailed their support and they say that they don't compress any of the data that you upload, keeping the quality of the file the same as the original. Which is especially important for pictures. The other nice thing about a lot of the online storage sites is you can access/upload/download files from pretty much anywhere.

I was just wondering if anyone else uses online storage for their photos or if anyone has any suggestions. Ideally I'd like a free, or pretty cheap service. Currently, I have almost 10GB of photos, and many more gigs (almost 200GB) of other data. I'm fine with having a service just for photos if they keep the quality of the file the same and don't compress it and uploading my other files someplace else.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I use http://www.hostsnake.com/ to host and share my photos. It's not really for back up as I back up all of my stuff on DVDs.

If you don't feel comfortable backing all your stuff up online, how about looking a fireproof/waterproof safe?

devincco

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Thanks for the site recomendation. I'm fine with with using online storage. I would like to try and avoid burning discs every month or so, taking them someplace outside my home (i.e. work) and storing them there. I would rather just upload the new files and call it good. Plus, having the ability to view/upload/download files from any internet connection is a real bonus.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Online backup isnt fool proof either. What if they have issue and your data is lost?? I wouldn't want to trust my backups to someone else.

Easiest thing to do in my opinion is get a small external drive like the Western Digital Passport drive. Back up your data once a week and keep it your desk drawer at work or someplace similar that frequent (a friends house, parent house, etc...)

Another thing I would worry about with online storage is privacy, who know who is looking through your stuff while they are bored at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.