Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Hi,

A friend of mine is going to canada and i'm planning to ask him to get me a sigma 18-50mm f2.8 from there as lenses are bloody damn expensive here in UK! Can anyone recommend me a good online store? Also if I get it shipped from amazon.com to Canada, would duty be applied on it when it is coming into Canada?

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
Amazon.com will not ship items to Canada. There is an Amazon.ca but it sucks. However, if your friend were to buy it from adorama or B&H and have it shipped to Canada the lens is duty free. Most photography equipment is duty free between Canada and the U.S. I would recommend a site called photoprice.ca. You can look up the prices of photography equipment and it will tell you if it's cheaper to buy it in the states after Tax and money conversion and shipping costs. Or if it's better to buy just buy it in Canada. It normally lists several retailers, and will also confirm if it is duty free or not. Good site.
For instance your sigma lens would be $573 Canadian after tax, and S&H. So that would be ~$320 pounds. That's from B&H. Hope that helps a little.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
thanks davegregory... useful information indeed... I think i'll ask my friend to run around a few shops when he's there :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.