Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andreamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Somewhere in Switzerland :)
To buy some a reason must be, changing my inox steel automatic watch that I wear 24/365 with some troubling lasting more than a day watch without extra value sound me crazy.

If there is some an Apple ecosystem addicted as me refuse is still wasting value. My 2007 MBP with my iPhone SE and my Mac mini and iPad are extensively part of my professional and private life but Apple Watch not yet.

I think I can consider it only if at least one of the buying barrier I have in mind came off. Battery must definitively last longer or wearing it should advice about serious incoming heart accident ... better with some preemptive approach. Or may help some m monitoring breath disease like OSA

I'll accept also false hearth accident detection in case that will help Apple better refining sensing and algorithm but a value must exist.

Idea to take watch off nightly when I am unconscious and more I need a monitoring stuff sound me really unfair, recently FitBit announce the coming update of their Charge to version 3 and it seems battery will operate decent time for a fraction cost.

In general I'll appreciate a more passive health focused toy from apple than a recorder of gym and another place for the email, we have enough.

More, an opening to third part applications would be welcomed, the watch platform seems me a bit close as it was Apple TV with Siri in past. Health organisations and developers must have rooms to partecipate to the environment to make the Apple Watch really booming.

Summarising, actually without a real knowledge of what future watch 4 will be and just reading about rumours my attitude for the newcomer watch is relatively low.

Andrea

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Ming Chi Kuo is predicting an AW4 with longer battery life and potentially additional health sensors. So maybe you'll get what you want in this coming up generation.

There are third party applications allowed on AW, more than ten thousand of them, so I'm not sure what that complaint is about.

redavis41

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
I don't see how you'll get an improved battery life though based on current form factor and potential added health monitoring. Apple is positioning this watch as a connector device between the iPhone and Macbook and Homepod/Airpods.

andreamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Somewhere in Switzerland :)
Ming Chi Kuo is predicting an AW4 with longer battery life and potentially additional health sensors. So maybe you'll get what you want in this coming up generation.

There are third party applications allowed on AW, more than ten thousand of them, so I'm not sure what that complaint is about.

I was speaking about health application that has a return in practical life, of course there are tons of other applications but to me AW4 should be more focused as a health tracker than any else, is not a complain just a statement.
[doublepost=1535020952][/doublepost]
I don't see how you'll get an improved battery life though based on current form factor and potential added health monitoring. Apple is positioning this watch as a connector device between the iPhone and Macbook and Homepod/Airpods.

I disagree both, battery life is a result of various choice and sensing or tracking some external parameters depend the application may be less costly than you think, competitors are going there.

It was my will just say, despite I really appreciate the Apple environment, this AW4 probably will not excite me so much due my expectation are more health focused and others.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I was speaking about health application that has a return in practical life, of course there are tons of other applications but to me AW4 should be more focused as a health tracker than any else, is not a complain just a statement.
[doublepost=1535020952][/doublepost]

I disagree both, battery life is a result of various choice and sensing or tracking some external parameters depend the application may be less costly than you think, competitors are going there.

It was my will just say, despite I really appreciate the Apple environment, this AW4 probably will not excite me so much due my expectation are more health focused and others.
This isn’t directed at you but to all the “battery should last longer like Fitbit or galaxy/gear”. While I agree, it’s hard to compare. FitBit is a toy for screen and gear/galaxy is enormous. Apple Watch would easily last 3-4 days if it was the same size as Gear/Galaxy - just add battery for all the extra size. Yet, the gear has never sold well and this is why.

Love the Watch faces and I have large wrists so this might look ok except with dress shirts.

I should add that I would be tempted to buy the new galaxy watch if it worked like the Apple Watch does with my iPhone. Will never use a Galaxy phone. May even be tempted if Apple still doesn’t add more professional looking Watch faces this fall. The Watch faces are a joke. In my opinion only :)

Attachments

• 74A95A3D-52A0-479F-B3F6-669601F79926.jpeg
    74A95A3D-52A0-479F-B3F6-669601F79926.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 814938BC-ABB5-4804-9D18-980FD402B021.jpeg
    814938BC-ABB5-4804-9D18-980FD402B021.jpeg
    757.9 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
My series 3 battery can easily last 2 days without charging. When I do charge it I do it at night while i'm laying in bed reading and then I put it back on before going to sleep. In the morning I put it on the charger when i'm in the shower and getting ready. Then I put it back on and it's 100%. So battery life is never an issue for me.
The series 3 does warn for abnormal heart issues. As does series 2.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I am so happy with the battery on my series 3. I typically charge it for an hour while I'm in the shower and getting ready for work, and an hour when I get home. I occasionally forget to charge and it easily lasts for two days. Charging hasn't been an issue for me at all. I love my watch.

redavis41

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
My series 3 battery can easily last 2 days without charging. When I do charge it I do it at night while i'm laying in bed reading and then I put it back on before going to sleep. In the morning I put it on the charger when i'm in the shower and getting ready. Then I put it back on and it's 100%. So battery life is never an issue for me.
The series 3 does warn for abnormal heart issues. As does series 2.

What type of workouts are you all doing? I do an hour long workout daily with the watch and have a Chest Rate Monitor attached to reduce battery drain and only have about 5 apps giving me notifications and I might be able to make it a day and a half.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
What type of workouts are you all doing? I do an hour long workout daily with the watch and have a Chest Rate Monitor attached to reduce battery drain and only have about 5 apps giving me notifications and I might be able to make it a day and a half.
If I workout I most likely use the apple workout app. Sometimes the nike app. My battery life remains the same roughly. Usually just a 30 minute or so run.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

After 12 hours usages that includes 50 mins Elleptical at gym, my S3 (LTE) still is at 72%.

I don’t understand complaints about Apple Watch battery life anymore.

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
After 12 hours usages that includes 50 mins Elleptical at gym, my S3 (LTE) still is at 72%.

I don’t understand complaints about Apple Watch battery life anymore.
Wow. Mines been on my wrist for just over 24 hours now and I’m at 43% (without a workout)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.