Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zlloyd1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
I used to use Onyx for Sierra on my Macbook Pro, but since upgrading to High Sierra, it no longer would work, claiming to be incompatible, so I searched online, and found Onyx for High Sierra, and downloaded it....
This turned out to be a serious mistake, as this garbage masquerading as software proceeded to immediately go Not Responding when I tried to run it, and locked the entire computer up to the point where I HAD to cut the power to escape it. Even Force Quit would not do anything.
Is this a joke or something??
Did I make a severe error in allowing the High Sierra update to happen??
Can anyone PLEASE tell me what could be causing this problem?? Thanks in advance!!

ilandmac

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
Remote island
I used to use Onyx for Sierra on my Macbook Pro, but since upgrading to High Sierra, it no longer would work, claiming to be incompatible, so I searched online, and found Onyx for High Sierra, and downloaded it....
This turned out to be a serious mistake, as this garbage masquerading as software proceeded to immediately go Not Responding when I tried to run it, and locked the entire computer up to the point where I HAD to cut the power to escape it. Even Force Quit would not do anything.
Is this a joke or something??
Did I make a severe error in allowing the High Sierra update to happen??
Can anyone PLEASE tell me what could be causing this problem?? Thanks in advance!!
[doublepost=1512088193][/doublepost]Yep, you need to upgrade Onyx for HS. Works fine here on .1
Are you using a Beta version ?

ilandmac

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Loaded question...
1. Onyx for HS works for me. You do realize, that first step of Onyx is to check structure of our hard drive (=SSD) and on AFS that means locking the drive, running check in place --- and this manifests itself as total lock of computer interactions until it is done? Same as if you do it from DiskTool, it lock computer and only when it is done (5+ minutes for my MBP) you get chance to work back with the computer. No chance of getting ANY attention from the system during this time, it cannot read the drive... So plan for this and expect that it will freeze the system for that time. That is expected and described on the Onyx help screen.

... by the way, that joke is provided to you for free and with no guarantees. Someone is making Onyx available for free, probably working in his/her evenings and other free time, so all of us can have a tool which has been very, very valuable. I do not believe "joke" is the right word here. Come on...

2. Did you make a mistake upgrading: Considering number of issues I have with stability of the system and the security issues with HS revealed recently, I think I made a mistake upgrading. Of course, depends on what you do, hardware, and what you expect. So, this varies and only you can answer it... I am sure you have a proper bootable backup of the system from before upgrade, so you can always boot on that, reformat the drive and clone the backup back to main drive - this should take at most few hours and you are back on Sierra. It should be easy fix to go back.

Reactions: J.Gallardo

zlloyd1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Loaded question...
1. Onyx for HS works for me. You do realize, that first step of Onyx is to check structure of our hard drive (=SSD) and on AFS that means locking the drive, running check in place --- and this manifests itself as total lock of computer interactions until it is done? Same as if you do it from DiskTool, it lock computer and only when it is done (5+ minutes for my MBP) you get chance to work back with the computer. No chance of getting ANY attention from the system during this time, it cannot read the drive... So plan for this and expect that it will freeze the system for that time. That is expected and described on the Onyx help screen.

... by the way, that joke is provided to you for free and with no guarantees. Someone is making Onyx available for free, probably working in his/her evenings and other free time, so all of us can have a tool which has been very, very valuable. I do not believe "joke" is the right word here. Come on...

2. Did you make a mistake upgrading: Considering number of issues I have with stability of the system and the security issues with HS revealed recently, I think I made a mistake upgrading. Of course, depends on what you do, hardware, and what you expect. So, this varies and only you can answer it... I am sure you have a proper bootable backup of the system from before upgrade, so you can always boot on that, reformat the drive and clone the backup back to main drive - this should take at most few hours and you are back on Sierra. It should be easy fix to go back.

As to number 1, I DO realize that there is a structure check at the beginning of use of the Onyx program, but the problem is that it is not doing this, it is instead freezing the computer to the point where if you open Force Quit, it says Not Responding as if it is not working at all....
As to number 2, NO I do not have a bootable backup of the system before the upgrade to HS, that I am aware of, and do not feel that I should be forced to downgrade back to a previous OS, just to use a program, freeware or otherwise.
Let me explain that I am not a computer technician for Apple, and do not know the intricacies of resetting OS changes backwards. Also, I do not keep a backup of my computer for every time Apple decides to update my OS. That is unless it is automatically handled by the OS when the upgrades are done, like on Windows systems, where a Restore Point is created before any major changes. If this is the case, Please provide some advice as to the process of taking advantage of this, and please remember that I am NOT a computer programmer.
Again, thanks in advance!!

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Hm,
considering that you are not Apple computer expert, why in the world are you using Onyx, which is potentially destructive utility to control/modify operating system? I have a long experience with maintaining/upgrading/... Apple computers and still, when I use Onyx, I am bit worried if I did not screw up something and break my system. I believe Onyx clearly states, that you can break the system by its use and that you should have bootable backup before you try to run it. On my scale of computer skills requirements to use a specific program, Onyx is as high as it gets, just below the command line tools.

I agree with you that we should not have to roll back release versions of OSX and that Apple has released buggy software. I am not Apple and I did not do it. So venting on me gets you exactly nowhere. I assumed that as Onyx user you are pretty much OSX expert.

zlloyd1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Hm,
considering that you are not Apple computer expert, why in the world are you using Onyx, which is potentially destructive utility to control/modify operating system? I have a long experience with maintaining/upgrading/... Apple computers and still, when I use Onyx, I am bit worried if I did not screw up something and break my system. I believe Onyx clearly states, that you can break the system by its use and that you should have bootable backup before you try to run it. On my scale of computer skills requirements to use a specific program, Onyx is as high as it gets, just below the command line tools.

I agree with you that we should not have to roll back release versions of OSX and that Apple has released buggy software. I am not Apple and I did not do it. So venting on me gets you exactly nowhere. I assumed that as Onyx user you are pretty much OSX expert.

I did not claim to be a OSX expert ever, I was just confused as to why an application that I had previously, did not transfer over to the new OS update.
Also, I was NOT venting at you, just generally venting, and you just happened to respond....

Irregardless, I did get it to work finally, and install correctly....
I guess the first download package must have been somehow corrupted, but when I tried it a second time, it worked fine, so thanks for all of the answers!!

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Kind of conclusion/explanation here - OSX upgrades are often more complicated for old applications than Windows. Apple seems to tinker with the back end much more than Microsoft. That is its advantage and disadvantage - depending how you look at that.

And Onyx especially - it is system modification utility, it is very system specific. It calls system commands and if Apple changes those, it stops working or worse, it could cause some real damage.

I own Mac computer with 10.11 still - it is stable, still gets security updates. The main reason are programs I need - all programs I use work perfectly fine with versions I have. No value in upgrading OSX and then updating all associated programs to compatible versions - which may or may not be available.

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
I used to use ONYX many years ago on snow leopard. I stopped using it when Mavericks was released. I don’t seen any real advantage of using it myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.