Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Is Apple ever going to fix this absurd problem? I was hoping that this issue would be fixed with Sierra and a Photos update. I've sent a lot of feedback to Apple about it. But evidently, usability is no longer a priority.

For those unfamiliar with it: try to access your Photos library from Mail or Final Cut. The icon is there, but when you click it, you get the message that's the title of this thread. To make matters even worse, there's no longer an easy way to find your photos within the app's package. Previously, your photos were logically sorted in the Masters folder, and then into folders by date. Now the folders have indecipherable names and seemingly no rational organization. I think Apple really wants everyone to go back to using iPhoto.

EDIT: I was wrong about the Master's folder; it's still there. But there's another one within the Resources folder as well; that's the one I had been looking into.

Last edited:

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I dunno what you're referring to. In Mail if I click the little image icon when composing a message I get the media browser (the same one you see in the Finder when say you wanna put an image into a Pages doc). And I can access the images in Photos or Aperture. I do NOT get a message to open Photos.

And as far as the package where Photos stores images in a managed library, that's how it's supposed to work. If you want to access images outside of Photos in the Finder than you should be using a REFERENCED library, not a MANAGED one. Turn off the "copy into" option for imports in Photos prefs. Then you store your photos where you want them. You are NOT supposed to be mucking about in the package; changes there can result in problems with accessing the images in Photos.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I dunno what you're referring to.

I'm referring to this:

open-photos.png

That's what I see when I try to add images in Mail or any other app. I can open Photos and drag images from there into Mail -- and that's the only app where that works. Other apps won't accept images dragged directly from Photos.

If I have a lot of videos from my iPhone that transfer over into Photos, the only practical way to pick and choose which to bring into Final Cut is to open the Photos package. I don't "muck about" in the package; I simply browse to the correct folder and from there I can drag the videos or images directly into any app I choose.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Hmm. I am able to browse within Mail, as you expect you should. Have you actually opened Photos at all? It may be because the library needs to be migrated/updated from an earlier version.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I'm referring to this:
That's exactly what I see, and I do not use Photos for my pix.
When I want a photo in an email, I look for it in Finder, and drag it into the message area.
Apfelkuchen has probably got the right of it.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Hmm. I am able to browse within Mail, as you expect you should. Have you actually opened Photos at all? It may be because the library needs to be migrated/updated from an earlier version.
I use Photos regularly. I still have my old iPhotos library and when I click on that in the dialogue box, all of those pictures appear. Just nothing for Photos.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Something's wrong. The media browser isn't able to access your Photos library for some reason. Should look like this:

Capto_Capture 2016-09-26_01-10-59_PM.jpg

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
have you moved your Photos folder or anything?
From the launch of Photos, my collection has been stored on my external TB hard drive. iPhoto never had a problem with it, but evidently Photos -- even though it seamlessly syncs and saves my media to that location -- is having issues accessing that data through other apps.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Have you tried creating a new library with a few test photos and then opening that instead of your system library?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I found the problem, and it was absurdly simple. There's a button in Preferences with the words "Use as System Photos Library". I had never clicked it because I assumed since I only had one Photos library, that would be the default. It would probably be more intuitive if the words were next to a radio button so I could see if it was checked or not. Once I clicked the "Use as System" button, it greyed out and everything works like it should.

Reactions: Partron22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.