Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Hi, I have two installations of mac, on separate hard drives. The old one is Yosemite, and I barely touch it nowadays. My main, the Sierra installation, recognizes apps on the other drive when I use open with. It's bad because a lot of those old versions of applications can't even open on this drive. I know there's a way to reset the open with menu, but I believe I've tried it and it didn't fix this.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 2.19.57 PM.png
Any solution to this? Thanks in advance! EDIT: i'd like to add that this issue plagues spotlight too, where it is most annoying. if i write quicktime and press enter, it will most likely open the older version, which just bounces back an error.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Any solution to this? Thanks in advance! EDIT: i'd like to add that this issue plagues spotlight too, where it is most annoying. if i write quicktime and press enter, it will most likely open the older version, which just bounces back an error.
It's a feature, I guess, to find all apps on your system. It is annoying and I just eject the unused disk to stop this from happening.

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Any info on how I can fix the spotlight issue? I suppose I could eject the drive or even disconnect it, but there should be some easier way. I also occasionally access that drive so I'd rather not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.