Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Well, it doesn't work for Danish news outlets, so we don't have the app - we do however have the widget (it just takes you to Safari websites instead), and I use the widget constantly, and like it a lot.

I have my iPad set up as a British device, to follow both the British and Danish news streams at once though, and I must admit I don't have the best experience with the app there - that's mostly because it's an iPad Air though, and everything is just incredibly slow. I use the "Read screen" function, and it often glitches out because it can't deal with processing the text-to-speech in the News app. Bit annoying. I have nothing against the design of the app though.

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Well, it doesn't work for Danish news outlets, so we don't have the app - we do however have the widget (it just takes you to Safari websites instead), and I use the widget constantly, and like it a lot.

I have my iPad set up as a British device, to follow both the British and Danish news streams at once though, and I must admit I don't have the best experience with the app there - that's mostly because it's an iPad Air though, and everything is just incredibly slow. I use the "Read screen" function, and it often glitches out because it can't deal with processing the text-to-speech in the News app. Bit annoying. I have nothing against the design of the app though.
I’m not in supported regions either but I once switch to try it and I completely agree with you tgat they need to expand supported regions quicker than this. Much smaller company than Apple that operates in my country has their own news platform built into their main app and it works really great.
I like the part that it recommends topics by using what Siri learned when you using safari.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I’m not in supported regions either but I once switch to try it and I completely agree with you tgat they need to expand supported regions quicker than this. Much smaller company than Apple that operates in my country has their own news platform built into their main app and it works really great.
I like the part that it recommends topics by using what Siri learned when you using safari.

I don't see it as being that urgent though to be honest. I think the News widget redirecting to Safari pages works fine if I'm honest.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
I like the news app. But I also miss newsstand for a place to keep all my magazines. If news somehow could also gain the same function as the newsstand in that respect, it would then be perfect.

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
I like the news app. But I also miss newsstand for a place to keep all my magazines. If news somehow could also gain the same function as the newsstand in that respect, it would then be perfect.
Since they’ve bought Texture I think they might add magazines to News too.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
I think too Apple really nailed it. I could care less about the new spotlight feature, and I think that should be optional, but I use this app daily, and it’s one of the best apps Apple has made

Caviar_X

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
It's a great away to read articles from WSJ and NYT that are behind a way wall in their native apps. Usually the News app post articles right after publishing.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I find Flipboard a much better option. I use my twitter feed to ONLY follow an aggregate of news, information and interest. I then have that stream as a reading in Clipboard. I get much more relevant, precise and personally interesting info, articles and stories this why than using the 'generic' News app. Flipboard looks better too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.