Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
Can anyone who owns this tell me if its worth it compared to tamarac or lowepro?
http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-NG-5162-Explorer/dp/B000FJ2OSM

Do you need a pack that can hold your Laptop? If not look at the Kata DR-465. I just got this bag last month to take to Costa Rica. It held up like a champ. Even after a 4 hour hike in the rainforst/moutains of Costa Rica. It rained at time so I had to but the bag in the included rain bag thing. I did not want to carry my Laptop with me so the 465 worked best for me. There is a 467 that can hold a 17inch laptop but it is bigger and I just did not need it. Good luck on your bag search. It is never ending...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The first time I saw one was at an archaeological site in Greece. I saw the National Geographic logo and assumed the guy wearing it was thus a National Geographic photographer. Imagine my surprise when he went to do a lens change and pulled out a little, plastic Canon "nifty fifty." My next thought was, wow, that lens really is good--even a NG photographer is using it. :D

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
The first time I saw one was at an archaeological site in Greece. I saw the National Geographic logo and assumed the guy wearing it was thus a National Geographic photographer. Imagine my surprise when he went to do a lens change and pulled out a little, plastic Canon "nifty fifty." My next thought was, wow, that lens really is good--even a NG photographer is using it. :D

I just order my nifty fifty for $90, last night.

@OP, that seems like a cool back pack, for me I need to touch one before I purchase, I like to see if it can take the beating it will receive from use I would put it though.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I use my Lowepro Fastpack 250 if I decide to go travel and such, I can keep my 15" MBP (with soft cover) + my DSLR + lenses + flash all in one bag, easier to travel.

And I keep my MBP 15" in the room and just bring my Lowepro with my SLRs when I decide to walk around (weights totally different without my notebook inside).

georgemann

macrumors regular
Using a National Geographic backpack would be sort of like wearing Camel or Marlboro outdoor clothing.

If they made a bag that was really nice and suited the job (or someone gave me one), I would probably cut off the tag, before anyone sees it and asks the inevitable stupid question.

These days most of the photographers that work for National Geographic are probably using Think Tank Photo bags.

http://thinktankphoto.com

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
These days most of the photographers that work for National Geographic are probably using Think Tank Photo bags.

http://thinktankphoto.com
Oh, I didn't know that but I sure love Think Tank products, I just bought the whole Skin Set series (the 5 in 1 box) and Steroid Speedbelt. Saved me from sweating like a pig and totally saved my back bone during the whole wedding period I just undergone.

Think Tank rocks :cool:

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
I ordered my first ever thinktank bag yesterday as I have heard such good reviews about them. I went for the Streetwalker Hard drive. Can't wait for it to turn up.

I am in desperate need of a bag that is a rucksack style as my current Billingham is doing my back no good when it comes to lugging all my kit around on one shoulder. I'm hoping that by using the thinktank bag I am going to be able to spread the weight evenly and reduce the lean to one side I get with the billingham.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
I have handled the Nat-Geo bags at B&H and felt a little uncomfortable about the protection they give the camera. They do score points for style, though...I prefer LowePro however.

Woodrow72

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2008
Utah
I do not have any experience with that backpack, however I do with this one

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-Ergo-Tec...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252956066&sr=8-6

I have been searching for a bag for 3 years that will hold everything and not look and feel bulky. I have tried the Tenba Messenger bag, the lowpro sling bag and a few other messenger bags that I modified.

This bag is by far the best! I am currently carrying:
In the lower pocket:
Nikon D90 with 18-105 lens attached
Nikon N65 with 50mm Nifty Fifty attached
Two Rolls of film

In the upper pocket:
Two Pens, two mechanical pencils and an eraser
Logitech Nano wireless mouse
Macbook power adaptor with the extra cord attached
Western Digital 500gb portable hard drive
Blackrapid R Strap
Card reader, various cables and other misc crap
and there is still room to put more crap

In the laptop pocket:
13 inch Black Macbook with wireless receiver attached

This bag is amazing it carries everything and doesn't look bulky. I am hoping to post a review of the bag either tonight or tomorrow

Hope this helps

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
My thinktank Streetwalker hard drive arrived today and I love it already.
It holds all my kit and there is still room to spare.
It's clearly well made and doesn't look like your typical photo backpack.

I would recommend that anyone in the market for a backpack takes a serious look at it.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I do not have any experience with that backpack, however I do with this one

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-Ergo-Tec...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252956066&sr=8-6

I have been searching for a bag for 3 years that will hold everything and not look and feel bulky. I have tried the Tenba Messenger bag, the lowpro sling bag and a few other messenger bags that I modified....This bag is amazing it carries everything and doesn't look bulky. I am hoping to post a review of the bag either tonight or tomorrow

Hope this helps

My problem with that kind of bag is that it's more accessible to pickpockets than to the person wearing it. I opted for a LowePro Flipside because I can do a lens change or put away the camera without removing the backpack. I really appreciate having a little "table" of sorts in front of me for a lens change, especially in locations where I wouldn't want to set down the bag. And since its opening faces my back, nobody else can get into the bag when I'm wearing it. Pickpockets need only a few seconds to unzip, grab, and run.

It's also quite small and non-bulky, even for this rather gracile female.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.