Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the sigma 30 mm 1.4. It would be used on a 7D. I'd be using it for shooting inside, just family gatherings, etc that my wife wants pictures of. I have the 24-70 2.8L, but I still feel that is limited by f2.8 inside and that the 1.4 would be a big help. I do have a flash that I can bounce, but I'd really like not to bounce flashes all over the place at gatherings such as Easter dinner :)

I've read about the AF issues, and I've never owned a sigma lens before, but this one has me intrigued. Any opinions on it, preferably on crop body as I'm trying to get a 50 mm equivalent on a FF, but I'll take opinions regarding IQ and AF, etc, from anyone! Thanks!

anthemus

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Denver
Currently I use the Sigma 30mm 1.4 - very fast indoor lens. Overall shooting on the Canon 7D it has been great. Depth of field is amazing and produces great pictures. Once in a while it does search if you're in low light, I often shoot in manual mode. Overall its a solid lens. Its in rotation with my Canon L 24-105mm so it holds it own.

Here's a review of the lens:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-30mm-f-1.4-EX-DC-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
Currently I use the Sigma 30mm 1.4 - very fast indoor lens. Overall shooting on the Canon 7D it has been great. Depth of field is amazing and produces great pictures. Once in a while it does search if you're in low light, I often shoot in manual mode. Overall its a solid lens. Its in rotation with my Canon L 24-105mm so it holds it own.

Here's a review of the lens:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-30mm-f-1.4-EX-DC-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

Thanks for the review. I was already pretty set on it, just wanted to see what people here thought. On another note, how do you like your 24-105 L? I'm considering selling my 24-70 for the extra reach to 105, but I really like my 24-70. Any experience with both?

anthemus

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Denver
Before getting the L and the 30mm I was using a Sigma f/2.8 18-50mm. Really liked it. Going to the L I like the range and with IS and only being an f/4, I pretty happy with it. I kept the 30mm for more evening shots and indoors. Now just looking for a good telephoto and my lens bag should be good for a while.

Thanks.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I borrowed a sigma 30/1.4 for a while and shot a thousand frames or so with it. Wide open was pretty soft in the corners and it flared like crazy. The build quality seems decent and it is a solid feeling lens, but just not my thing.

I have used it at a few weddings where I find a 50 way too long, but in general I personally do not like the focal length. I know it is a classic focal length and I am supposed to like it, but I just don't. If you are looking for 30 mm though, there aren't many choices, canon pushes you to 35 mm. If I have to shoot in bad light and can't use a flash, I am happier with the sigma 30 1.4 than a canon 50 1.4. Again, this is just my personal opinion.

As far as the 24-105 goes, it's definitely decent and works well as a portrait lens with good light, but I am hurting for another stop and have been actively looking to switch to the 24-70.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.