Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I'm starting to yearn for some faster glass, and I'm thinking a faster long lens would serve me well. I'm happy with the current range I have (the 18-55mm kit lens plus the Nikkor 55-200mm VR), but the aperture on that 55-200mm is pathetically small. I find myself in dim light (weddings) or shooting outdoors in shadow (in the woods) or fast action (watersports), and f/4-5.6 just doesn't cut it. And I'm purely a hobbyist, so budget is a big concern. For that reason, the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG HSM II caught my eye.

Nearly all of the reviews I've read -- from the exhaustive writeup at DPReview.com to the individual 1-paragraph user reviews on Amazon and the like -- are quite positive. The general consensus seems to be that you get 80%-90% of the performance of the Nikon AF-S 70-200mm for 50% of the price (~$1600 for the Nikon, $800 for the Sigma). If that's true, I can definitely live with that. The one thing that gives me pause is the lack of image stabilization, since I've never used a 200mm lens without it -- but then I've never used a 200mm lens at f/2.8 either.

I know some Sigmas (and Tamrons, etc) have questionable build quality, but all reports point to this particular one being built like a tank (DPReview concurs), although lacking some of the dust/weatherproofing seals that the Nikon has.

I haven't seen hardly any discussion of this lens on these forums (it's only been available for 6 months or so), so I wanted to get opinions of anyone here who has used it. Sample images especially are great.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Wow. That's quite a good deal. Now they just have to make a version with OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.