Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Hi all,

Despite a few attempts I've never been able to produce anything in Photomatix that I was remotely pleased with, I haven't a clue how to fiddle with the settings to make photos come out well. But I quite liked this one - I'm not making any claims for the photo itself, it's just a standard horse racing shot, nothing special.

Would love some brutally honest opinions. Do you hate it? Is it okay? What would you have done differently in Photomatix? Really want to learn how to do these better so would love some advice and opinions. Thanks.

2619058408_982b7c6f17_b.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Perhaps I could put the question back to you. What exactly did you want HDR to do? The photo is equally lit, under grey skies, and I can't honestly see what HDR could do to improve it.

HDR can help to make some good pix even better. It can 'open up' shadows, 'create a 'look', offer opportunies for shooting interiors, etc. But for run-of-the mill pix (especially featuring people) it can't work magic. Just my opinion... :)

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
i have to go with doylem here.
your source shot seems to have a light situation that already fits the sensor quite well with no major clippings either way.

by going hdr you probably mean: you used some fill light and recovery.
also, you used one image only. (i guess you did, because it's a fast race and it's impossible to take 2 or more frames that are absolutely equal). how can you make an hdr image from one single image (from a dslr, pns, or anything else that's available to us mere mortals.)? everything was there in the original capture, so no extended range of sth here.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Thanks you two for the replies, much appreciated. I've included the original this time just to show the difference.

Perhaps I could put the question back to you. What exactly did you want HDR to do?

Fair question :) Just an experiment really, just playing around with the settings, I didn't set out with anything in particular in mind. I just liked the very slight 'oil painting' effect the HDR produced. I know there's isn't a huge difference between it and the original.

HDR can help to make some good pix even better.....but for run-of-the mill pix (especially featuring people) it can't work magic. Just my opinion... :)

True enough - I'm not looking for magic, honest! I'm just interested in experimenting and learning how to identify photos that would benefit from HDR.

how can you make an hdr image from one single image

Try Googling! I know, I know...using a single image certainly isn't the best route, but I have seen some nice results when the photographer only had one image to work with, eg here.

Thanks again you two.

2620627493_a606b666e1.jpg

Soma 115

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
the Chi
Hi all,

Despite a few attempts I've never been able to produce anything in Photomatix that I was remotely pleased with, I haven't a clue how to fiddle with the settings to make photos come out well. But I quite liked this one - I'm not making any claims for the photo itself, it's just a standard horse racing shot, nothing special.

Would love some brutally honest opinions. Do you hate it? Is it okay? What would you have done differently in Photomatix? Really want to learn how to do these better so would love some advice and opinions. Thanks.

2619058408_982b7c6f17_b.jpg

i actually like the hdr much better than the original

tonie

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2008
what did you do that it has so much grain? but the picture is nice regardless :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You can't do HDR with just one exposure. Yes you can process the image with some software but if you ar working with just one image all you are doing is adjusting some tones. That said I like the effect. I'd crop some off the bottom. Keep the horizontal rail but loose some of the vertical supports.

idyll

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I wouldn't have been able to tell that this is an HDR image without you telling me..

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
You can't do HDR with just one exposure. Yes you can process the image with some software but if you ar working with just one image all you are doing is adjusting some tones. That said I like the effect. I'd crop some off the bottom. Keep the horizontal rail but loose some of the vertical supports.

Thanks Chris, delighted you like the effect. Yeah, I suppose it was incorrect to describe this as HDR, tone-adjusting is definitely more accurate. Will try out your suggestion to crop a bit, thanks again.

I wouldn't have been able to tell that this is an HDR image without you telling me..

I think that's probably a good thing! I'm completely bored now with overdone HDRs, I prefer the ones that just have a hint of it to give a subtle change to a photo's tones and lighting, the overdone ones just look like cartoons to me.

That said, as Chris pointed out above, mine isn't really a HDR at all.

I like it, feels liek they are running away from a storm....

They were! Thanks for the comment.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I'm just interested in experimenting and learning how to identify photos that would benefit from HDR.

This is the point, I reckon. After the novelty has worn off, HDR becomes just one more tool in the box... available for use when it's needed. From experience (and LOTS of 'failures') I'm learning what HDR can add to landscape photography. In a few, quite particular, conditions, it seems to work, for me... but in 95% of my pix it really doesn't. The trick is recognising which is which... :)

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Don't over do it. I've seen so many HDR pics on this site that just look ridiculous. I think the rule of thumb should be, if you can tell it's an HDR, then you've overcooked it.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
I don't see what HDR did for this shot that desaturation and contrast adjustments couldn't have done.

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
Sky & hill look weird

I'm not crazy about the colorless look to the sky and background hill. It looks artificial, and I'm not seeing what this change achieves artistically.

The gentle blues of the original contrast nicely with the crisp green foreground.

Just one stranger's opinion.

Andrew

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
don't mean to be overly critical.. but a step to the left would have improved this image dramatically... maybe testing the waters in using the rubberstamp/clone tool could help to remove the loud '150' sign from the lower right. I may plays a critical role in the race (?) but it is competing with about 5 horses on that whole side of the photograph.. and winning.

hope you don't mind the blunt honesty.. its a great shot aside from that fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.