Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone on here has experience with this lens and can offer their opinion. I have been reading reviews of it around the interwebz, but would really like some first-hand experiences and/or any samples of anything specific. One of my concerns with it is that many places talk about its slow focusing, can anyone speak to this?

Thanks

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone on here has experience with this lens and can offer their opinion. I have been reading reviews of it around the interwebz, but would really like some first-hand experiences and/or any samples of anything specific. One of my concerns with it is that many places talk about its slow focusing, can anyone speak to this?

Thanks

IMO, it's a good, but not great lens. It's outdone at the long end by the Sigma 50-500 in terms of sharpness, but not contrast. It's slow on a D70, but fast enough on a D2x. Overall, if you're already in the ballpark, it's ok- a lot depends on which body and what you're planning on shooting and under what conditions.

I'd be surprised if it goes six months without an update, it's very long in the tooth.

Edit: I've owned one since about eight months after they were released, I've also owned the Sigma 50-500, 300/4 EDIF, 80-200 Push-pull, and 400/2.8 AF-S II.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I rented one and took it shooting at different events over an entire weekend and took tons of pics.

I can only attest to the lens in Manual Mode as I used it on my Canon 20D. :D

Great Bokeh. For a lens of that zoom range/quality, pretty easy to carry around (fitted perfectly in my photo bag). Softer at 400mm.

Here's a couple pics (I posted here too, but too lazy to look for the posts) in a single post:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=8407192&postcount=369

I really liked it. Would rent again, but instead I bought a cheap used Sigma 75-300 as the LPS I rent from is now out-of-the-way as far as getting to it (used to be on the way to/from work).

I can post more pics if you want to see more.

Try to rent one and see how it goes.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I rented one and took it shooting at different events over an entire weekend and took tons of pics.

I can only attest to the lens in Manual Mode as I used it on my Canon 20D. :D

Great Bokeh. For a lens of that zoom range/quality, pretty easy to carry around (fitted perfectly in my photo bag). Softer at 400mm.

Here's a couple pics (I posted here too, but too lazy to look for the posts) in a single post:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=8407192&postcount=369

I really liked it. Would rent again, but instead I bought a cheap used Sigma 75-300 as the LPS I rent from is now out-of-the-way as far as getting to it (used to be on the way to/from work).

I can post more pics if you want to see more.

Try to rent one and see how it goes.

Thanks.

I'm planning on renting one for an airshow in early October. I know its not the fastest lens, but since its San Diego the lighting should be nice and bright. Also hope to take it for a day at the zoo while I have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.