Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tploumen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2024
Hi,

Are there any people who successfully got macOS Optimized battery charging working again after uninstalling Al Dente...? (and I mean without doing a clean reinstall of macOS)

Thanks!

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Are there any people who successfully got macOS Optimized battery charging working again after uninstalling Al Dente...?
Did you follow the instructions, especially the bit about resetting the charge limiter setting and turning off features before uninstalling?

Reactions: Apple_Robert

tploumen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2024
Did you follow the instructions, especially the bit about resetting the charge limiter setting and turning off features before uninstalling?
Yes

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
If you have an Intel Mac, reset the SMC

If you have an Apple Silicon Mac, there isn't an SMC to reset... in this case, perhaps you simply need to give your laptop time to learn your charging habits.

tploumen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2024
Hi,

I've got a new Macbook Air M3. I'm trying to learn my mac to use Optimized Battery Charging.

My Question is: is 5 hours of daily charging on a regular schedule enough to let it engage Optimized Battery Charing after 14 days?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013

tploumen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2024

Sgaar

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
So, my opinion, AlDente Pro is shotty software and does not work. I say this because I bought it, and it simply does not work. Even taking into consideration the removal instructions, tweaking, etc. it does not work. One I did find that does work, and provides more functionality, is Energiza. No, I am not affiliated with the developer and seller of Energiza. Energiza Pro (appgineers.de)

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Are there any people that got Optimized Battery Charging working with 5 hours or less of daily charging...?
It's difficult to know because OBC comes in two forms in macOS. The first is what many people seem to want which is for the charging to stop at 80% when they are plugged in. As far as I can tell, that only happens when you've remained plugged in for several days (maybe weeks.) The second form is more subtle. If the system can determine your schedule the charging system will charge up to 80% and then stop until your schedule shows that you are going to take it off the charger soon. At that time, it will continue charging to 100% and be ready in time for all-day use.

I see the second form happen frequently but given my current use I don't see the first at all though on my M1 I did since I was mostly just plugged in. Now I'm on battery for most of the day and charge either overnight where I might see the 80%, stop, then continue type of OBC or I charge when my battery runs down at work in which case I don't get any form of optimized charging.

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 12.36.02 PM.png

tploumen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2024
It's difficult to know because OBC comes in two forms in macOS. The first is what many people seem to want which is for the charging to stop at 80% when they are plugged in. As far as I can tell, that only happens when you've remained plugged in for several days (maybe weeks.) The second form is more subtle. If the system can determine your schedule the charging system will charge up to 80% and then stop until your schedule shows that you are going to take it off the charger soon. At that time, it will continue charging to 100% and be ready in time for all-day use.

I see the second form happen frequently but given my current use I don't see the first at all though on my M1 I did since I was mostly just plugged in. Now I'm on battery for most of the day and charge either overnight where I might see the 80%, stop, then continue type of OBC or I charge when my battery runs down at work in which case I don't get any form of optimized charging.

View attachment 2405357

Many thanks!!

In Sonoma, do you still get the message: "Charging On Hold (Rarely Used On Battery)...?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Many thanks!!

In Sonoma, do you still get the message: "Charging On Hold (Rarely Used On Battery)...?
I’m guessing you do but as I said, I don’t use my M3 MacBook Air on the charger that way since updating to Sonoma. Someone else might know for sure.

platinumaqua

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2021
Make sure to restart/shut down your computer if you have a M mac to reset the internal charging software

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.