Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ronis_BR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Hi!

Since I bought my MacBook Pro (one year more or less), I noticed that the optimized charging was working perfectly. I use my MacBook Pro almost as a desktop computer. It is only on very rare occasions that I use it on battery. Hence, the optimized charging algorithm understood it quite easily and started to make my battery stays at 80%.

I had to format my notebook 10 days ago and install Sonoma 14.4.1. Since then, the battery is at 100% even though the optimized charging is ON. I noticed that when I updated to 14.4.1 (before formatting), it also started to charge the battery to 100%. However, it might be something expect because the AI seems to "reset" every time an update was applied. The difference is that the optimized charging usually started to work way faster (in two to three days).

Is there anything I can do? How can I debug it?

Some information:

1. My MacBook is being charged using the USB-C from my monitor (90 W).
2. I have only 11 cycles on battery.
3. I do not shutdown the MacBook, it stays on all the time.

Something that might be unrelated but I noticed in Sonoma 14.4.1 also, the `uptime` command is VERY wrong. My last reboot was May 6th, and the `uptime` is showing only 2 days.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
If you want some finer controls over optimized charging, check out Al Dente.

Reactions: Mike Boreham

Ronis_BR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Thanks for the tip. However, macOS default option was working fine! I just do not why it stopped working in the latest update. In this case, I really prefer not installing third party apps.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Thanks for the tip. However, macOS default option was working fine! I just do not why it stopped working in the latest update. In this case, I really prefer not installing third party apps.

I feel the same about preferring the Apple supplied method over a third party app. But Apples OBC never worked for my two mostly plugged in M1 MBA’s, so after a few months I started using AlDente. When I later replaced them with an M2 MBA I found that I so preferred the extra control with AlDente that I didn’t bother trying Apple’s OBC. Today I slightly prefer Energiza which does the same thing, and I keep my max charge around 60%. Apple Battery Max Capacity number is still 100% after 18 months and 56 cycles. I can’t claim this is definitely due to AlDente/Energiza, but I had similar good experience with the two M1 MBAs.

If you want to try getting OBC to work again, you could try reinstalling 14.4.1 from Recovery on top of existing. You won’t lose any data. If that doesn’t work you may have to Erase all content and settings to restore factory state then migrate in from backup….or wait to see if imminent 14.5 brings it back.

Last edited:

ProQuiz

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2009
I can tell you how I fixed Optimized Battery Charging not working on my MacBook Pro 14".

When I first got my MacBook, it worked out of the box. Then after a few months of use, I decided to reformat my MacBook. After the reformat, Optimized Battery Charging stopped working even though it was enabled.

What I then did was select the "disable until tomorrow" option for Optimized Battery Charging, leave the MacBook powered on and plugged in overnight, then in the morning when the option automatically reenabled itself I restarted the MacBook. Upon booting into macOS Optimized Battery Charging started working again.

Ronis_BR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
If you want to try getting OBC to work again, you could try reinstalling 14.4.1 from Recovery on top of existing. You won’t lose any data. If that doesn’t work you may have to Erase all content and settings to restore factory state then migrate in from backup….or wait to see if imminent 14.5 brings it back.
Ok, I will try that if the suggestion by @ProQuiz did not work. Thanks!

What I then did was select the "disable until tomorrow" option for Optimized Battery Charging, leave the MacBook powered on and plugged in overnight, then in the morning when the option automatically reenabled itself I restarted the MacBook. Upon booting into macOS Optimized Battery Charging started working again.

Thanks! I will try to do this today and check if it starts to work tomorrow. In this case, should I mark the option to disallow entering sleep mode?

ProQuiz

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2009
Thanks! I will try to do this today and check if it starts to work tomorrow. In this case, should I mark the option to disallow entering sleep mode?
I have that option enabled. I don't use Sleep mode. I have my MacBook connected to the charger 24/7 and with the screen lid open all the time even when I am not using the laptop.

Edit: I just have my screen set to the turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Last edited:

Ronis_BR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Unfortunately, the disable until tomorrow did not work. I will upgrade to Sonoma 14.5 and check if it starts working.

Ronis_BR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
After updating to Sonoma 14.5, the optimized charging started to work today. The computer is 24/7 plugged in the energy. It took 16 days from the day I formatted the computer and install 14.4.1, and 4 days after upgrading to 14.5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.