Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimDeRosa

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
For those who like to obsess over their batteries…which will do you think it better, setting limit to 90% and having it hold at 90 all night or using optimized charging? Best of both worlds would have been using optimized charging in conjunction with the new limit feature but of course Apple denies us of this! Also interested to hear what others are planning to use.

CrispAppleNerd

Suspended
Aug 26, 2024
I am actually very curious about this. I have an 14PM, so I dont have the option for the charging limit, but I ran my launch 14PM with optimized charging for an entire year and was down to 96% when iOS 17 was released. If 90% charge limit can help on my 16 pro, I might try it. Haven't heard if anyone saw great gains from using the charging limit on the 15 pros from the last year.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I've left mine at 80% limit since I got mine in December and I still have 100% battery health so I see no need to change it. The only time I'll turn it off and force the iPhone to charge to 100% on purpose is when I know I'm going to be away from a charger for an extended amount of time.

TimDeRosa

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
I am actually very curious about this. I have an 14PM, so I dont have the option for the charging limit, but I ran my launch 14PM with optimized charging for an entire year and was down to 96% when iOS 17 was released. If 90% charge limit can help on my 16 pro, I might try it. Haven't heard if anyone saw great gains from using the charging limit on the 15 pros from the last year.
Yes exactly, the question comes down to wondering if whether holding it at 90% for the entire night versus holding at 80% for most of the night and then charging right to 100 (optimized charging) before you wake up is better. If it were my world, I would want to hold a 80% for most of the night and then charge right to 90% before I wake up. Unfortunately Apple doesn’t let you combine the two features.

CrispAppleNerd

Suspended
Aug 26, 2024
I've left mine at 80% limit since I got mine in December and I still have 100% battery health so I see no need to change it. The only time I'll turn it off and force the iPhone to charge to 100% on purpose is when I know I'm going to be away from a charger for an extended amount of time.
You have the iPhone 15 Pro correct? You had no issues getting through the day with the 80% limit?

Another big question is, have you downloaded iOS 18 on your device yet?

CrispAppleNerd

Suspended
Aug 26, 2024
Yes exactly, the question comes down to wondering if whether holding it at 90% for the entire night versus holding at 80% for most of the night and then charging right to 100 (optimized charging) before you wake up is better. If it were my world, I would want to hold a 80% for most of the night and then charge right to 90% before I wake up. Unfortunately Apple doesn’t let you combine the two features.
Why not hold at 90% all night? That's not full charge so it shouldn't hurt the battery health I wouldn't think. I want the charge limit for the pure fact of being able to charge all night again. I used optimized charging on my 14PM, and it never worked correctly. I get up at different times on different days, so it never figured out when it was suppose to charge to 100%.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
With a simple plist edit and zapping the PRAM, you can set the charge limit to 120% and the phone lasts even longer.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
With my Charge Limit set to 80%:

I still have 100% battery health on my 15 Pro Max, after a heavy year of use!

This never would have happened on a previous phone of mine.

IMG_3999.jpeg

TimDeRosa

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Why not hold at 90% all night? That's not full charge so it shouldn't hurt the battery health I wouldn't think. I want the charge limit for the pure fact of being able to charge all night again. I used optimized charging on my 14PM, and it never worked correctly. I get up at different times on different days, so it never figured out when it was suppose to charge to 100%.
Holding it at 90% all night would in theory hold the battery at a slightly higher voltage than holding it all night at 80% and would slightly increase the wear over time. This article below describes it well, see the included graph of charge percentage to battery voltage.

As a side note, I have the 15 Pro Max and I’ve been limiting it to 80% all year, and only just now after a year of use dropped to 99%. That said I do tend to run out right at the very end of my day, which is why I am considering keeping it at 90% going forward. (And by ”run out” mean go down to 20% which is generally the lower accepted limit.)

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Nice article, Tim.

I have kept my 15 Pro Max Battery Limit at 80% all year, and rarely do I ever let it get below 40%.

But still my OCD is going to expect mine to fall below 100% at any time, after your post 😄

CrispAppleNerd

Suspended
Aug 26, 2024
Holding it at 90% all night would in theory hold the battery at a slightly higher voltage than holding it all night at 80% and would slightly increase the wear over time. This article below describes it well, see the included graph of charge percentage to battery voltage.

As a side note, I have the 15 Pro Max and I’ve been limiting it to 80% all year, and only just now after a year of use dropped to 99%. That said I do tend to run out right at the very end of my day, which is why I am considering keeping it at 90% going forward. (And by ”run out” mean go down to 20% which is generally the lower accepted limit.)
Thanks for the article! Great read. I only am only thinking I will use the 90% limit because I have been using the 14PM and I am going to a 16 Pro, so I am worried if I go with the 80% limit I will never make it through the day. Well not without almost completely running the battery down.

From what I understand, anything below 30% is bad for the battery, which might explain the slight decline in your health to 99% in a year. Getting only slightly below the 30% threshold.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
You have the iPhone 15 Pro correct? You had no issues getting through the day with the 80% limit?

Another big question is, have you downloaded iOS 18 on your device yet?
I usually have to top off the battery at least once a day when I have the charging limit set to 80% but one of the perks of working remotely, I have a charger within arm's length at all times. And yes, I do have iOS 18 installed and so far, I haven't had a big hit on my battery.

CrispAppleNerd

Suspended
Aug 26, 2024
I usually have to top off the battery at least once a day when I have the charging limit set to 80% but one of the perks of working remotely, I have a charger within arm's length at all times. And yes, I do have iOS 18 installed and so far, I haven't had a big hit on my battery.
Awesome, good to hear. I ran the betas on my 14PM and the RC really took a hit on my battery. Hoping it settles a bit before my 16P gets here on Friday.

I am thinking 90% limit is where I will live. Has to be better than what I am doing now on the battery, so if I can at least be 100% after a year or 99%, I would be happy.

Reactions: phillytim

CrispAppleNerd

Suspended
Aug 26, 2024
I got my 16 pro and I am going to try and baby it battery wise. Thinking keeping it at 90% limit will be the trick for me, and hoping this helps keep the battery health up.

That said, what do you guys use for charging? Do you refrain from using 20w bricks and wireless charging? I know wireless charging can create heat, which is bad for the battery so just curious what your guys habits are. Want the best health I can.

ChromeCook

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2024
Guys I set my Charge limit to 80% on my 16PM, plugged it in and fell asleep and woke up to it at 100%?!!! How I thought it would hard limit it at 80% but it fully charged for some reason it’s literally my first ever charge on this phone

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
I'm having a struggle with this topic on my new 16PM. Upgraded from a 14PM that had 84% battery capacity. I understand the reasoning behind limiting to 80%. But isn't capping the charge to 80% from day one giving me the same results of a battery that eventually loses 20% of its capacity? I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit.

"I don't want my phone to only charge to 80%, so I'm only going to charge it to 80%."

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Guys I set my Charge limit to 80% on my 16PM, plugged it in and fell asleep and woke up to it at 100%?!!! How I thought it would hard limit it at 80% but it fully charged for some reason it’s literally my first ever charge on this phone
It Will periodically charge to 100% to calibrate the battery. If you never charged to 100% yet on a new phone, it’s definitely going to charge to 100 the first time and then should happen once every month or so. Normally it will stop at the 80% limit you have at.

Reactions: ChromeCook
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.