Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
This might be my first time posting in the apple watch forum and also please excuse my english in advance.

I love almost all apple devices ever since I was in college but was consistently repelled by the idea of having a smart watch. I have an iphone, a macbook, airpods, and an old apple tv. As a resident doctor in asia who works with 36hr shifts from time to time with no exercise, I suddenly got an urge to buy an apple watch just because its apple (sheep lol) but was hesitant since its very expensive in my country and don't really get the attraction towards smart watches. The base 44mm series 5 here costs around $500+. I have no money yet to get a new apple watch and decided to get a smart band, the Mi Band 5 which is around $30. It tells the time, lets me read notifications (can't reply though) with vibration, and let me click next on my music. I don't really exercise since my work eats up all of my time. So I have a few questions.

1. I ordered the mi band just to get a taste if smart wearables are for me. Do you think the mi band represents what its like having an apple watch? I would definitely invest in one if I find the mi band very useful.
2. If ever I buy a used apple watch, would you prefer a 42mm series 3 or a 40mm series 44? I don't really care about the ECG since that is not activated in my country and since I work in a hospital, I can do the full 12-lead ECG anytime.
3. The mi band has a battery that would last a week. Do you find the charging the watch annoying as something to also charge besides your phone? Do you have a longer battery life now since you're not using the phone as much because of the watch? As for me, I would not mind the charging as long as the battery would last as long as, if not longer, than my 11 pro max.
4. Lastly, if you don't have a smart watch now would that make a difference? Like did the watch really help you in a big way when it comes to health and convenience?

Thank you in advance and I would be happy to be a future member of the apple watch community (hopefully). Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:

mbdownunder

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I think getting the Mi Band is a great idea as it lets you sample the "smartwatch life" without a big investment. I never thought I wanted a smartwatch until I was gifted a Garmin with basic smartwatch features similar to the Mi Band. I eventually upgraded to a Series 3 Apple Watch, then a Series 4. For me the upgrades were well worth the cost, but I'm sure there are some people who would rather save their money and stick with a Mi Band.

If you do decide to get an Apple Watch, I would strongly recommend that you get a Series 4 or newer. The Series 3 is still a good watch, but the Series 4 is such a nice improvement. If cost is a concern, I would choose a used Series 4 over a new Series 3.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I think getting the Mi Band is a great idea as it lets you sample the "smartwatch life" without a big investment. I never thought I wanted a smartwatch until I was gifted a Garmin with basic smartwatch features similar to the Mi Band. I eventually upgraded to a Series 3 Apple Watch, then a Series 4. For me the upgrades were well worth the cost, but I'm sure there are some people who would rather save their money and stick with a Mi Band.

If you do decide to get an Apple Watch, I would strongly recommend that you get a Series 4 or newer. The Series 3 is still a good watch, but the Series 4 is such a nice improvement. If cost is a concern, I would choose a used Series 4 over a new Series 3.

Thank you so much for your response! Yeah hoping that the mi band would be the "gateway drug" into the smartwatch life.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your response! Yeah hoping that the mi band would be the "gateway drug" into the smartwatch life.

I think there’s a high chance it will be.

I had the Mi Band 1S, 2 & 3 before I jumped onto the Apple Watch 4

I was able to get a great price for my Apple Watch 4 as I always keep my gadgets in good condition so it only cost me 90 to transfer to the Apple Watch 5, which I wanted for the always on display.

So yes, it’s a very good idea to buy a Mi Band to test whether it is for you and the Mi Band Devices are excellent value for money.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
This might be my first time posting in the apple watch forum and also please excuse my english in advance.

I love almost all apple devices ever since I was in college but was consistently repelled by the idea of having a smart watch. I have an iphone, a macbook, airpods, and an old apple tv. As a resident doctor in asia who works with 36hr shifts from time to time with no exercise, I suddenly got an urge to buy an apple watch just because its apple (sheep lol) but was hesitant since its very expensive in my country and don't really get the attraction towards smart watches. The base 44mm series 5 here costs around $500+. I have no money yet to get a new apple watch and decided to get a smart band, the Mi Band 5 which is around $30. It tells the time, lets me read notifications (can't reply though) with vibration, and let me click next on my music. I don't really exercise since my work eats up all of my time. So I have a few questions.

1. I ordered the mi band just to get a taste if smart wearables are for me. Do you think the mi band represents what its like having an apple watch? I would definitely invest in one if I find the mi band very useful.
2. If ever I buy a used apple watch, would you prefer a 42mm series 3 or a 40mm series 44? I don't really care about the ECG since that is not activated in my country and since I work in a hospital, I can do the full 12-lead ECG anytime.
3. The mi band has a battery that would last a week. Do you find the charging the watch annoying as something to also charge besides your phone? Do you have a longer battery life now since you're not using the phone as much because of the watch? As for me, I would not mind the charging as long as the battery would last as long as, if not longer, than my 11 pro max.
4. Lastly, if you don't have a smart watch now would that make a difference? Like did the watch really help you in a big way when it comes to health and convenience?

Thank you in advance and I would be happy to be a future member of the apple watch community (hopefully). Stay safe everyone!
lets me begun samsung efit band

1. efit just pure heart beat tracking and watch with no ecg with no whatever oksigen thing.
2. ekg is totally not accurate all times and sometimes will have weird error . Compare to normal ecg is totallly diff world.
3. Charging ya lesser but the problem is i hate mutiple wire. The era qi have begun.. Battery watch maybe not powerfull as mi band/efit but 2 days till 0 its still okay.
4. No much diff .

Okay why i moved to apple watch

1. I have no idea at first and thinking samsung watch but the shop is annnoy to me so i bought it for
my own self present.

Okay what i really used this watch for.

1. I wear at right side and easy to me to see notification when driving. No and dont reply message when driving .Just a glance and if important pull over to safety and then continue whatever you do.

2. The weird circle kaching keep me doing walk brisk 1 hour 2 or 3 times a week 4km.

3. To see time i prefer nike version and when work used those weird lot of info.

What weird .

1. Opening mac with watch a bit slow.

** i used omron blood presure to check if figure the same and put the data in health apps.
** i also once a month put blood sugar value to healths apps.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018

Pretty much the same for me. It is my first time posting in this forum as I do not have Apple Watch and English is not my first language either.

Smart watches can do more than the smart bands but it is indeed a good starting point. I had Mi band 2 till 2 weeks ago when I purchased Mi Band 5. I have been eyeing Apple Watch 5 for few months but there are few things that I am not sold over.

1. Battery. I can get with charging every 5 days, I cannot with charging every day. I do not accept charging my phone every day, let alone smart watch.
2. The sleep tracking is mediocre. I have sleep issues so I need extensive sleep tracking. Mi Band 5 wins at that (compared to Apple Watch).

And this is pretty much it. I love the fact that you can put maps on the Apple Watch and can use it for navigation. That honestly is the feature where the watch wins over the band. I am not into sports and workout is not my thing. Breathing is useful but I do daily meditation without reminders so no issues with this. I can however get lost easily and having the possibility to have navigation without picking up the phone from my backpack is a pro.

Lastly, if you don't have a smart watch now would that make a difference? Like did the watch really help you in a big way when it comes to health and convenience?

For me personally the sleep tracking feature of the Mi Band did help. It helped me to spot when I have issues or not and what could cause them. It definitely helped me improve my sleep quality. However I also understand that this is not something everyone cares about and it is not like everyone would benefit from this.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
. . .

2. The sleep tracking is mediocre. I have sleep issues so I need extensive sleep tracking. Mi Band 5 wins at that (compared to Apple Watch) . . .

As someone who previously had several Mi Bands, I have since had the Apple Watch 4 and currently Apple Watch 5.

I use the free application SleepWatch with my Apple Watch and it provides a very detailed sleep tracking information.

I agree that the Apple sleep tracking on the latest watchOS doesn’t look very comprehensive, however, if the rumours prove true and there is blood oxygen monitoring on the Apple Watch 6, then I would expect the sleep tracking to become more detailed.

in the meantime, I have been very pleased with the SleepWatch application and it does me just fine.

The additional capabilities of the Apple Watch mean that I am very happy with my choice to upgrade from the Mi Bands I owned before.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
As someone who previously had several Mi Bands, I have since had the Apple Watch 4 and currently Apple Watch 5.

I use the free application SleepWatch with my Apple Watch and it provides a very detailed sleep tracking information.

Thanks for sharing an app you use and like. MiBands are far from perfect but at the price they are offered, I do like their sleep tracking and the way the info is presented in the app. I take it you find SleepWatch's sleep tracking as good as Mi Bands if not even better.

I agree that the Apple sleep tracking on the latest watchOS doesn’t look very comprehensive, however, if the rumours prove true and there is blood oxygen monitoring on the Apple Watch 6, then I would expect the sleep tracking to become more detailed.

This is a good point indeed! We do have to wait and see what the Series 6 would offer.

in the meantime, I have been very pleased with the SleepWatch application and it does me just fine.

The additional capabilities of the Apple Watch mean that I am very happy with my choice to upgrade from the Mi Bands I owned before.

This is great! Indeed Apple Watch in general offers more than smart band like Mi Band. I use it mostly for the sleep tracking features as I am not that much active person when it comes to fitness and physical activities.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

thelorax76

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
If you're opposed to charging your watch every day and often work 36-hour shifts (during which you would like to be wearing your smartwatch), it's going to be a long time before AppleWatch is ready for you.

Some people have been able to get almost two days' batteries out of an AppleWatch, minimizing things like streaming to bluetooth earbuds, workout tracking, Always On Display, etc. — but if you're doing that on consistently you're missing out on a lot of the point of having such a watch. Also, if the battery is barely lasting your workday when it's new, you'll be really unhappy once it starts to degrade in time.

That's the biggest problem with the AppleWatch. It's great in other ways. The screen is beautiful ... its brightness and clarity is almost worth the short battery for me vs. my Garmin 230 that lasted over a week but was really dull. Sleep tracking works great with other apps (I use AutoSleep) and is coming natively to WatchOS7. ApplePay is useful, especially since the pandemic hit. Being able to adjust music (skip songs, change volume etc) from your wrist is handy when the phone is in your backpack. The weather complications (including UV): very useful. Being able to put it in theatre mode and voice record short memos is great.

Reactions: secretk

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
It’s interesting to read a few people’s thoughts on the Mi Band vs the Apple Watch. Like the OP I bought a Mi Band first, in order to test the water with a cheap device, and I’m finding that sometimes I am not even putting it on. What I get out of wearing the Mi Band is the clock, the footstep counter, and workouts for my cycle rides. Other than specifically putting it on when I am going for a ride, it’s just not that useful to me. And the screen brightness in sunlight is a problem.

On the whole I am not encouraged that a smartwatch would be a good device for me, and having to add it to the devices I charge each night would be annoying. If the Apple Watch had a battery life of two weeks, I might take the chance, but as it is in terms of spec-sheet features I see a whole lot of nice-to-have little perks, but no real standout must-haves.

In the past when I have needed a watch, I have gone with my Junghans Mega Solar Titanium. Now there was a device... classic timepiece, take it anywhere, robust and stylish both, radio synced to the atomic clocks so it never tells the wrong time, and solar powered. But I use it quite rarely, I wear it mostly as an accessory.

That combination, of a watch which is stylish and beautiful as a watch in itself, and then comes with all these health and fitness features, is the one thing that might persuade me to buy an Apple Watch.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.