Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
Has anyone done this?
if so, whats the quality like and was the color good?
i got some prints from walmart but the quality and color was horrid so i took them back for a refund.
can anyone suggest any good places to buy prints from, keeping in mind im from canada. :d

thanks

davinche

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I've ordered prints from iPhoto and the quality was good. The color of course depends on how good the color in the original photo is as I don't believe Apple does any type of color correction like some of the other photo sites on the web. Mpix gets metioned a lot on these forums, I personally have never ordered from them and based on a quick google search it looks like they do ship to Canada but only using USPS.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I ordered a photo-book from them, it was built nice but the printing was sloppy and some of the photos had a very strong red cast in them after printing while others (shot at the same location and under the same lighting and batch edited along with the others in Lightroom) didn't. It literally looked in some of the shots like people has a severe sunburn. I was displeased with the printing, but the book it's self was fabulous. And based on other products that my friends have ordered, I believe mine may have just slipped through the cracks. Like I said, most of the photos looked great, it may have had more to do with the paper selection I chose than anything else since Apple doesn't adjust for that. I've had the same photos that were red in the book printed individually at a local printing house and they came out beautifully and with no cast at all.

Bwoods

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Has anyone done this?
if so, whats the quality like and was the color good?
i got some prints from walmart but the quality and color was horrid so i took them back for a refund.
can anyone suggest any good places to buy prints from, keeping in mind im from canada. :d

thanks

The problem could be that you monitor is badly calibrated and you adjusted the images to look good on your monitor. It so, you can't blame the printer. Make sure this is not the problem before you send out a send batch of test prints

I think the quality and color depends on the people running the printer and another Wallmart might be better or worse even if they use the same equipment. There are several good on-line labs that can print color managed files.

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
About a year and a half ago I did up a birth announcement for my nephew and they turned out GREAT. Then a couple of months later I did a book for my Brother and Sister-in-law of pictures from the day of my nephews birth to give them for christmas, this book also turned out GREAT. I am about to place another order to have some prints done up for my girlfriends RN class picture.

Christopher

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
I've ordered prints from iPhoto and the quality was good. The color of course depends on how good the color in the original photo is as I don't believe Apple does any type of color correction like some of the other photo sites on the web. Mpix gets metioned a lot on these forums, I personally have never ordered from them and based on a quick google search it looks like they do ship to Canada but only using USPS.

thanks ill have to check Mpix out, and thanks for going out of your way to see if they ship to canaduh :D

I ordered a photo-book from them, it was built nice but the printing was sloppy and some of the photos had a very strong red cast in them after printing while others (shot at the same location and under the same lighting and batch edited along with the others in Lightroom) didn't. It literally looked in some of the shots like people has a severe sunburn. I was displeased with the printing, but the book it's self was fabulous.

Bwoods
ya thats kinda what happened with walmart, all of my sunset pictures looked very pale.

The problem could be that you monitor is badly calibrated and you adjusted the images to look good on your monitor. It so, you can't blame the printer. Make sure this is not the problem before you send out a send batch of test prints

that may be it, how do i calibrate my monitor?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
thanks ill have to check Mpix out, and thanks for going out of your way to see if they ship to canaduh :D

ya thats kinda what happened with walmart, all of my sunset pictures looked very pale.

that may be it, how do i calibrate my monitor?

You need a hardware device that reads and measures the color from the screen.

I use one like this
http://www.amazon.com/ColorVision-Spyder2-Express-Win-Mac/dp/B000ES4PYU

One hint, turn the room lights off and run the calibration process in the dark. There is zero chance of any problem with reflected light if you do it that way

You can read up on the theory if you google "color management" with the quotes. The first dozen hits are all good.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
You need a hardware device that reads and measures the color from the screen.

I use one like this
http://www.amazon.com/ColorVision-Spyder2-Express-Win-Mac/dp/B000ES4PYU

One hint, turn the room lights off and run the calibration process in the dark. There is zero chance of any problem with reflected light if you do it that way

You can read up on the theory if you google "color management" with the quotes. The first dozen hits are all good.
ok thanks
i think ill buy one of those
too bad there like 100$ canadian
dam
o well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.