Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cungee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Australia
Hello everyone, just a quick "almost newbie" question.

I use a canon 350 D and installed the canon software on my MBP, but i am thinking about uninstalling it and just using iPhoto that came with my Mac to simplify things as i find i have jpegs everywhere and I need to gain control!!

I am also worried I might delete some precious memories during my reorganising.

Any hints, tips or advice on the best and simplest way I can do things?

Nb- I also have a Lacie Ext.HD (300G) for storage.

Dan.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am also worried I might delete some precious memories during my reorganising..

You mean you don't have backups? If not then it's not a matter of if you will loose them but when.

The "rule" is that at all times to have three copies of the files on three different media and at two different geographical locations. Thats the minimum. more is better.

Every thime I download some images the first thing I do is burn a copy to CD. Then I import to iPhoto (I prefer Aperture but my G4 s to slow) Then I add keywords and tags and commanets andratting in iPhoto. and "trash" the ones I don't like and do some minot edits and crops. then I backup the iPhoto library.

To organize in iPhoto..
(1) Make up a "system" of keywords and comments and stick to it. Write down your "rules"
(2) Make up a 5 star ratting system and stick with it.
(3) take full advantage of "Smart Albums" and nested folders and do remember that an image can go into many, many smart albums and not take up any extra space.

Cungee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Australia
Thanks Chris!

I do keep b/up files on CD, sometimes DVD and my external HD.
I guess I have to bite the bullet and allocate more TIME to the whole process.
I know nothing of "smart files" and look forward to reduces the space my images are taking up when i start using them in iPhoto.
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Dan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.