Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
I have always used LR to develop and store my DSLR images, however I was (and still am to some extent) a prolific P&S shooter who used iPhoto. Smugmug is where my portfolio of 3-star and up images are stored and backed up.

Because I am often away from my home computer and so when I have an urge to edit and cull my photos, I do so on my Smugmug site, and often have to send myself notes to do the same on my computer at home. However, now that I am starting to import things over from iPhoto into LR3, I am noticing that a major group (like "Asia") has 2500 photos, whereas what I am storing on Smugmug has half of that.

I don't want to have to go gallery by gallery to clean up my portfolio on my computer. The obvious solution would be to use one of Smugmug's Hacks/Apps to download the category to my computer, than reimport those files into LR3. However, by doing this, I don't want to get rid of my "losers" (lower ranked photos) nor want folders full of duplicates.

Basically, I need a way to import my mint portfolio, pre-ranked as 4/5 stars (I can decide this later), while maintaining the integrity of my current catalog, without creating multiple catalogs. Any tips, before I take this to Adobe's forums?

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
I was able to figure out an acceptable work-around on my own. Delete this thread if you want.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Or you could describe your solution so others may get help.
This is what forums are used for.

Really? I thought was for people to argue over which system is better or, my personal favorite, for people who have never used a particular lens or camera to advise other people about how great that particular lens or camera is ("I've never used it, but read some great reviews.")! :rolleyes:

1. Use RapidFetcher to batch download galleries
2. Move new JPG folders into position into folder hierarchy (with temp name)
3. Create new catalog in LR3
4. Import and keyword
5. (important) Flag, rate, or color code
6. Merge new catalog into existing catalog
7. (important) "Delete suspected duplicates)
8. Rename folders (in my case, deleted "temp")

Or, if you don't want multiple catalogs....

1. just remove your folders,
2. import the newly downloaded jpgs,
3. Flag, rate, or color code
3. then reimport the old folder with the "deleted suspected duplicates" checked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.